Wheelchair users and automatic watches
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Wheelchair users and automatic watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wheelchair users and automatic watches

I have a progressive muscle condition and have been using a wheelchair exclusively for a number of years now. Sure enough, just when I stopped walking at all, my automatic watches stopped self-winding. That's not particularly surprising, of course, but what did surprise me was the small amount of walking necessary to keep them wound. I mean, I got to the point where I was only walking a small amount for strength maintenance in my home with supervision and assistance, and that seemed to work fine.

To keep my automatics running, I either wind them manually every 24-36 hours (I have two Rolexes, a Zenith El Primero, and several with ETA movements), or I use a watch winder overnight, or I hold the watch in my hand and move my hand back and forth on an even lateral plane. That can actually look a bit perverted when sitting in a chair and waiving your hand from above the crotch area out to the knee area and back and forth, LOL, but it does the trick. It didn't occur to me, or my wife, until a friend of ours looked at me with a twinkle in her eye and asked what exactly I was doing (she knew).

I wonder if anyone on this forum has any other suggestions for sedentary folks to keep their autos wound, whether there is a most efficient way to wave or rock an automatic watch around for winding, and of course whether any of these options could damage or wear out a watch sooner than otherwise.

And, because I'm an exhibitionist (no, not that kind!), here's a picture of my brand new purchase from about a week ago. Been eyeing the new Oyster Perpetuals for about a year now and pulled a trigger on the Blue 34mm. I have very small wrists, and though larger watches can look fine, I felt this one fit great. And my wife loves it too, even if she now blushes when I do my autowind routine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Wheelchair users and automatic watches

Good choice. It looks perfect on you.

Are you able to roll your wheelchair around, yourself? I would have thought that motion would wind a watch as well as walking.
    gav1230, Bulgoki and Synequano like this.
    Casio / C.Ward / Grand Seiko / Hamilton / Junghans / Laco / Nomos / Omega / Panerai / Rolex / Sinn / Timex / Tudor

Quote Originally Posted by urbino View Post
    Good choice. It looks perfect on you.

Are you able to roll your wheelchair around, yourself? I would have thought that motion would wind a watch as well as walking.
    Thanks! Actually, I can use a manual chair indoors somewhat, but oddly rolling doesn't seem to quite do it. I mostly use a power chair these days as my arm strength has decreased, and I really need to when I go outside anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have had a very similar experience being stuck in an office chair for ungodly hours on end with no movement whatsoever. You know, the lights start going off because the motion detector for the switch hasn't detected movement for the past 30 minutes... Keyboard usage just won't wind the watch.

On a few occasions, my watches have run down (because I haven't been paying attention) and actually stop while I'm wearing them.

The only thing I do that you might not (but then again, perhaps you do) is look at my watch a lot. When your arm is at rest your wrist typically faces away from you. When you check your watch, your wrist typically faces toward you. So in one check, you're going to get roughly 360 degrees of rotation (not a full circle of course, 180 degrees one way, and then 180 back the other). Now, I've never done the math to seen how many times you'd have to check your watch during waking hours to keep it wound, but that's about all am able to do on certain days. Besides, who doesn't want to look at their watches more?

Cheers!
    Bulgoki likes this.

Maybe you can fasten some of your watches to the sides of the wheels of your wheelchair. This would wind the watches when ever you roll around.
    Bulgoki, Medusa, domayotte and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgoki View Post
    or I hold the watch in my hand and move my hand back and forth on an even lateral plane. That can actually look a bit perverted when sitting in a chair and waiving your hand from above the crotch area out to the knee area and back and forth, LOL, but it does the trick.

And my wife loves it too, even if she now blushes when I do my autowind routine.
    Haha. I've seen myself trying to wind a watch on wrist in the mirror and know how bad it looks. It doesn't look weird if you just take off the watch, hold it, and shake it though

Nice watch btw
    Bulgoki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by murokello View Post
    Maybe you can fasten some of your watches to the sides of the wheels of your wheelchair. This would wind the watches when ever you roll around.
    I was thinking that too! . Surely there is a way to use the motion of the chair to wind the watch... I’m no engineer, but it seems plausible, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Synequano and Bulgoki like this.

Yeah, same as my friend fat taxidriver, he need to wind manualy all automatic watches, because he is sitting whole days in his mercedes and driving only with right hand. When he starts with automatic watches, because of me, he try to service them, because he was think they are faulty. It takes some time, when we find where is the problem 😂 he is not moving with left hand, just resting on door mantle

Quote Originally Posted by domayotte View Post
    I was thinking that too! . Surely there is a way to use the motion of the chair to wind the watch... I’m no engineer, but it seems plausible, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, well . . . I'm certainly not strapping a watch to my wheels! My power chair weights about 300 pounds not including me!. But I have thought of tying one carefully to one of the arms so it swings as I move around. Not very practical, though, and even so I'd worry it might fall off. It's fun to muse about though.

I have a trio of Kinetics that need to be kept alive so I’ve mastered the art of the twirl. However, if your arm strength is on the wane you might want to consider a winder. The Wolf 4.1 looks nice and it can combine with other 4.1s to suit your needs.
    Bulgoki likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information