When is it acceptable to move on from a sentimental piece?
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: When is it acceptable to move on from a sentimental piece?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

This thought alone is bound to score me some time on the couch but here goes. I am very much in the early stages of building a collection and am figuring out likes, dislikes etc. I have been recently contemplating making my first flip. The tough part is the watch in question happens to be an engagement present. It is what I consider to be my first nice watch and also happens to be the one that got me hooked. I happen to really like it. I absolutely love the dial, got caught staring at it the other day at work. It is easily my most complemented on piece. I do wear it however not as often as some more recent additions. The issue is, as someone with a small wrist 6.5 inch, size is becoming very important to me. The case is just under 45mm with a thickness of about 15mm so it is very much a tank on a smaller wrist. Wanted to get some perspective on this. Is this a forever piece given the story behind it? Id like to hear of others who have maybe parted ways with a sentimental piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: When is it acceptable to move on from a sentimental piece?

Hey there. You say that the watch you are trying to flip is an engagement present. If you are still engaged to that same person, the watch is a keeper.

If you are no longer together, then it isnokbto flip. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Juclaq said. I think you should keep it.

You can buy a watch but you can't buy or guarantee sentiment. I have tried.

There is a chance you will never have a sentimental watch again.
    Actium likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It varies depending on sentiment, but in your case, I would ask her if it's okay to flip before you do it. Otherwise, you're going to get nagged on for the rest of your life.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Depends on who gave it to you. If your wife/fiance, there could still be a fun way to do it. E.g., mine has her eye on a Cartier Tank FranÁaise Small, and I've been eyeing a men's tank. I.e., what if you flipped it with her involvement, to fund a his & hers pair.
    Medusa and dwczinmb like this.

Presents in the form of expensive watches in general come from people who likely put a LOT of thought into what they were buying, with the recipient clearly in mind, and an engagement present assumes that this is from the person who is now your spouse. You are putting your fickle watch collecting "needs" ahead of personal relationships? Best of luck with that. This is a question that really wouldn't even be considered, much less asked, in most households I know. (And no, I wouldn't ask her if it were OK to flip or not--she may say "sure"--but deep down, may in fact be more bothered about it than you will ever realize--not worth the risk, in my opinion, even to breach the subject.)
    Last edited by timefleas; May 5th, 2019 at 02:55.
    Actium likes this.

The watch doesnít look too big on your wrist, but 15mm does sound pretty tall. For me any thicker than 13mm and it becomes a nuisance to wear with dress shirts.

I would try and put it on a leather strap to lighten the watch somewhat, but Iím not sure how she would react to changing an engagement present. Thatís not just a watch but a promise forged in stainless steel.
    Salt_Water likes this.

Not sure why everyone's assuming it was from his fiancee. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

IMHO, unless you're going to run into awkward questions about it, it's okay to flip it whenever you decide it's okay to flip it. That you're even seriously considering it suggests it doesn't have much sentimental value to you. Personally, when I give a gift, I give a gift. From that point on, it's that person's, to do with whatever makes them happy.
    Casio / C.Ward / Grand Seiko / Hamilton / Junghans / Laco / Nomos / Omega / Panerai / Rolex / Sinn / Timex / Tudor

If selling it will negatively impact an important relationship, you should keep it.

Keep it for a bit. The older you get the more weight you (usually) put on. In another 10 years you may discover your wrist a bigger and the size isnít a problem anymore.
    My Watch Pics (IG) ---> CLICK HERE
    Sales Forum Feedback History ---> CLICK HERE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information