When to break up with a watch?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: When to break up with a watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When to break up with a watch?

When do you know it is time to part ways with a new watch? I recently purchased a piece that I like quite a bit. But do I LOVE it? I'm not so sure. I like the brand and I like wearing it, but I suspect that I would like other similar watches, as well. Watches that cost significantly less than this one. I feel that I should be over the moon when buying a watch for, at least for me, what is a significant amount of money. How long do you give yourself to decide if a new watch is a keeper? I appreciate any insight you may have!

Inactive

Confused Re: When to break up with a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I like the brand and I like wearing it........... Watches that cost significantly less than this one............ what is a significant amount of money.
    You're giving me the impression you like it, but you've spent too much on it and are maybe feeling 'guilty' about that fact ?

I like the brand and I like wearing it
    I'm trying to work out what more do you want out of it ?
    value for money ?

Re: When to break up with a watch?

Will be interested to see the replies, im wondering the same thing. The watch I bought was too good of an oppertunity to turn down however I too suspect that I could get a watch I enjoy just as much, if not more, for the same or less money.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When do you know it is time to part ways with a new watch? I recently purchased a piece that I like quite a bit. But do I LOVE it?
    How long do I give myself to decide if it is a keeper? When I make the purchase it is a keeper and I may go a year or longer between purchases. I don't continually buy/think-about-the-watch/flip/buy/think-about-the-watch/flip. The words you are using make me think you have way too much of an emotional involvement in your watches. They are inanimate machines and not people.

If it's a bit of buyer's remorse then wait it out. You may regret getting rid of it. I had minor doubts aftervthe fact on any expensive watch I bought, and have come to love them.

I bought an expensive watch this week (well, expensive for me - a Baume and Mercier Capeland Flyback) and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm head over heels in love with my new watch. I can't stop staring at it and every time I strap it to my wrist, I feel that I am indeed lucky to be able to own such a high quality, beautiful watch. If you don't feel that way about your watch, and you think you'd be just as happy with something less expensive, but still nice, I'd sell it and let someone else feel that special something when they wear it.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Why do you have to 'love' it in order to keep it? I get that it wasn't cheap, but you were still able to afford it. Have you gone from 'love' to 'hate'? If so, I might consult with a doctor, the watch probably is not the problem. But, if what you thought was love only turned out to be lust, and now you've put out a smoke and are making a sandwich thinking that it wasn't as great as you thought, and really you just like it a lot, it's still ok to keep it. I bet you'll even wear it. When the honeymoon is over, it's not time to find a new wife (usually). Remember why you got married in the first place, and you'll end up celebrating a few anniversaries.

What were we talking about?

Thanks for the advice. I think I will wait it out for a while and see how I feel in a few months. I have a feeling it is just a touch of buyers remorse and hopefully this one will stay in my collection.

Good call. It sounds like you really like it. I think if and when the time comes to flip a watch, you'll intuitively know.
    Current: Seiko 5 SNGZ71, Seiko SKX007, G-Shock G9000-1V

Grail: Omega SMP 300 or Planet Ocean Orange Bezel

Admitted Seiko fan!

When the time comes, you just know. Same as when to break up in a relationship.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information