When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insist on a non display...

Poll: Loupe and Special Order

Like Tree10Likes

Thread: When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insist on a non display...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insist on a non display...

This came up on another forum where someone detected something wrong with their watch post purchase and you had one person mention they would never buy a new watch without looking at it with a loupe and another who said they have never purchased a display watch.

Asked someone I knew who works in a watch retail establishment and they said they have people every day who look at watches under a loupe before buying and roughly 80% of their customers don't want to buy the watches in the display case.

I was always under the belief that many bought the display model, and virtually no one looked at a watch under a loupe in a store....

And speaking for myself I have always bought what I believed were non display pieces (though no way of knowing with three of them, the third I saw them open the shipping container)

So my question is how many loupe it up before buying and also insist that their new from AD watches are "from the back" or special order? and do you typically get accommodated.

Thanks
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    "I was interested in precision timekeeping I wasn't interested in little, flat, thin luxury watches I was interested in proper watches, like the watch they used on the moon, that sort of thing" - George Daniels

Re: When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insist on a non display.

If i can't see imperfections with my unaided eyes, I am fine. Give it a week (or less) and there will be visible imperfections from normal wear. As for not taking a display item, many times, that is the only one of its kind in the shop and you may have to wait a while for one untouched by human hands. I am not sure what the point is if you plan on wearing the watch.
    Last edited by Shutterbug57; October 5th, 2015 at 14:25.

Re: When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insist on a non display.

I should clarify that this has no bearing on any pending purchase I have, just a curiosity thing for me.

I personally think it would be a challenge to truly verify an item was a "non display" item, especially if you have it shipped to you.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    "I was interested in precision timekeeping I wasn't interested in little, flat, thin luxury watches I was interested in proper watches, like the watch they used on the moon, that sort of thing" - George Daniels

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just take what I'm given and so far it could be said that I have been lucky.

No offense to those who do it because it is a highly subjective thing and it's hurting no one, but it would make me feel like an idiot to enter a dealership and pull out a loupe. Of course I take a good look at what I am buying but that's the full extent of what I do.

To use an analogy, this would be akin to going to a car dealership and inspecting all the stitches on the seating area... Or checking with a loupe that all the gauges' needles are perfectly colored. Seems very anal, very OCD (and I have a little OCD in me, by the way...).
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
    If i can't see imperfections with my unaided eyes, I am fine. Give it a week (or less) and there will be visible imperfections from normal wear. As for not taking a display item, many times, that is the only one of its kind in the shop and you may have to wait a while for one untouched by human hands. I am not sure what the point is if you plan on wearing the watch.
    Hits the nail on the head ^^
    rfortson likes this.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insis...

Positive on 1st and 2nd question.
    Moreover, if a seller proposed me a watch from display for a lesser price I prefer to pay more but to get something virgin,

And no, it relates to watches only ;)
    Last edited by Alex_TA; October 5th, 2015 at 19:58.
    GrouchoM likes this.

When Buying New from a Dealer do you: 1. Use a Loupe before purchase 2. Insis...

I do a thorough inspection but usually leave the loupe at home, and if there is no back stock and the display model checks out (no visible wear) I'll take it.

It will not matter if you are sold the display model, if it's the only one left in the store and it's the watch you want then you should have no issue as it will be sold to you with the full manufactures warrantee and in consumer Law your rights are protected. The store may be willing to discount the item as being a display , you may argue that, if the watch is running, if it is a battery operated watch, that the store either further discount or fit a new battery before you accept to purchase it. There is no harm whatsoever in trying to negotiate a deal or discount from the store, you get nothing by not asking. Most, if not all stores will match a price if you can show that it's cheaper elsewhere, you can often find that stores that sell online, the item can be a little more expensive in store but in my experience they will match price. As for using a loupe it's good for picking out those finer details but I would not use one to specifically look for faults, you can do a more detailed examination at your leisure at home and if anything you find is not to your satisfaction then you take it back to implement the warrantee.
    daschlag likes this.

Not just specific to watch purchasing. I never buy anything on display unless it's coming with a deep discount. If I do buy a display then I make sure it has the same warranty/exchange/return policies as a new in box item. If not then I will be extra careful to check everything's in order. If buying new in box then I'll trust that it's finished and works to standards. If packaging permits then I'll do a quick check to see if it's all ok. When I'm home is when I do the closer inspections.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information