When did SWISS MADE branding start?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: When did SWISS MADE branding start?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When did SWISS MADE branding start?

I was wondering when "SWISS MADE" started being placed on the dials of Swiss watches. For example, my father left me an early 1950s Omega and it does not say "Swiss Made" on the dial.

Re: When did SWISS MADE branding start?

On closer inspection, the "SWISS MADE" is there. I think the crystal on the watch is not the correct one. If you use a loupe, held at an angle to try to see as far down the dial as possible, you can see the words "SWISS MADE".

I still wonder when "SWISS MADE" first started appearing on Swiss watches. Are there older watches which would not say this?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've heard it started in the late 1800s as a legal requirement imposed by some European countries because cheap swiss labor meant that they were producing a lot of clones and mushroomesque pieces, threatening British and French watchmakers.
    However the world has changed and now Swiss made is something that manufacturers love to be able to put on the dial, obviously, so it is legally defined and protected by the Swiss.

Quote Originally Posted by skuzapo View Post
    I've heard it started in the late 1800s as a legal requirement imposed by some European countries because cheap swiss labor meant that they were producing a lot of clones and mushroomesque pieces, threatening British and French watchmakers.
    However the world has changed and now Swiss made is something that manufacturers love to be able to put on the dial, obviously, so it is legally defined and protected by the Swiss.
    I believe a similar requirement was introduced in the United States as there were many cheaply made Swiss pocket watches marketed with American sounding brand names.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Short answer: Around 1880, Swiss watchmakers began using the English term "Swiss Made" to protect their products from their American counterparts.

See link below from SWI:

Watch exhibition traces history of Swiss Made - SWI swissinfo.ch
    torquemada likes this.

My understanding is that prior to the reconstruction period in the States (1865-1890s) the Swiss were not known for their high quality timepieces. The most revered "luxury" watches were made by hand in France and Britain. The Swiss industry was primarily making more pedestrian pieces. Closer to the turn of the century, the Dollar Watch and multi jeweled movements were developed in the US to meet the accuracy needs of the new railroad industry. When watch manufacturing embraced Ford's assembly line and the concept of using interchangeable parts to make multiple products, the American watch market began to produce very well made, affordable timepieces. The Swiss were driven upmarket where they remain today. Somewhere in there the Swiss wanted to solidify their place at the top of the food chain.

Don't hold me to all of that, as I recall reading this about 20 years ago and the memory is dim. Ah, Father Time.
    Casio G-Shock AWGM100-1ACR, Glycine F-104, Hamilton Khaki Aviation, 1950's Jules Jurgensen 14k Manual Wind, 1940's Longines 14k Fancy Lug Manual Wind, Orient Kamasu, Orient 1970's Automatic "TV Dial," Oris Williams F1 Team, RADO D-Star, Sea Gull Tonneau GMT, Seiko 5 SNKE51, Seiko Recraft SNKP25, Seiko 5 SNZH57, Simplify 2200 Series "The Penguin," 1978 Timex Automatic Chrome, Tissot Luxury Powermatic 80 COSC, Vostok Amphibia 420 Bronze Mod.

"Swiss Made" probably started the day production was moved out of Switzerland.

Before it became China.

Wait, so in 50-70 years we should be seeeking the coveted “Made in China” luxury goods?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information