When did you become a watch person? How long has it been this way? My evolution...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: When did you become a watch person? How long has it been this way? My evolution...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When did you become a watch person? How long has it been this way? My evolution...

I was curious to see when everyone's fascination and love of watches (and in some cases also clocks) began?

I was probably four when I really began to like watches and clocks for what they were. My great grandfather was a salesman and watchsmith/clock repairman in Little Rock Arkansas. I can remember visiting their house and there were watches and clocks EVERYWHERE. At this point I began to "like" watches and clocks. I got a little older and got a watch, a cheap one, I don't even remember the brand. I remember it was digital and I didn't like it, I wanted the analog dials. So for Christmas one year I got a watch with dial face. I don't even remember the brand. But there was also something that bothered me about it.

As the quartz movement ticked the second hand never lined up with the hash marks. That really bothered me from the ripe old age of about 9. The next year for Christmas I got a mechanical pocket watch. Not knowing a whole lot about these things at that point, I kept it for awhile and eventually it quit running (I think I over wound it).

Two years later (by this time i was about 12) I was given a Timex by my aunt. Just a fairly cheap quartz watch, but I liked it. Two years after that the band broke and I decided to take it apart. Needless to say it never kept time again. Finally, one day walking through the mall (age 14 now) I saw a Seiko I liked. Then I saw the price, $170...

That was a lot of money for a guy who grew up poor. As poor as we were, my grandparents were NOT poor. My grandma allowed me to work at her business cleaning and moving carpets and rugs for a week to earn some money. I was not able to earn 170 dollars...at 3 or 4 dollars an hour and being in school I did not have a lot of time. So we went back to JC Penny a couple weeks later and I bought yet another Timex. The man at the counter didn't even take any links out of the band. But I wore this watch for three years. In the meantime I got a real job but that income was used to build savings for college and buy a car. There were things about this watch that I did not like. Again the second hand was never properly aligned with the hash marks and there was a lot of play in the hands when setting the time.

My senior year of high school, my GF at the time bought me a Fossil for my birthday. Relatively good looking watch, but like most Fossil's it proved to be a major POS. It lasted a whopping 18 months before kicking the bucket.

Then my GF in college (now my wife) bought me another Fossil for my birthday. Again, a pretty good looking piece (albeit cheap looking compared with Seiko or Tissot etc). This lasted all of about two years before it killed over. I bought another Fossil immediately following to see me through school and it also took a dive in about twelve months time.

2005...FINALLY Graduation from University of Oklahoma and a good job lined up and getting married...

I told my soon to be wife on our Honeymoon I was going to buy a nice watch on Oahu (by nice I meant Seiko or Citizen). There was a Kinetic Auto Relay I had my eye on. 375 bucks for a watch was big money for me based on my past (growing up poor) and I was stoked. Needless to say I received that watch on our wedding night from my wife :D

I was soooo pumped it was ridiculous. I promptly put it on and showed it to everyone who would take a look. This watch is still functioning perfectly five years (almost 6) later and it has been used and abused and keeps right on keeping on. But I knew it was only a matter of time until I picked up a mechanical and started to build my collection.

I've always been into engineering and small details. I've read bits about watches for years, taken the cheapies apart from a pretty young age. I knew fairly quickly after graduation I from OU I would want to slowly build a collection and eventually get into mechanicals.

Last year in Maui, I picked up a Tissot LeLocle at a great price it's a chrono with the 7750, my first higher quality mechanical piece (higher quality comparitively speaking, I realize its no Omega or Rolex). I love that watch and this year I picked up a Hamilton Khaki Officer Auto Chrono, also 7750 powered. Each time we come to Hawai'i I will snag a new watch...perhaps a one or two in between trips as well.

I've had an interest and love for watches almost my entire life...thought i would share :)
    Last edited by 6SpeedTA95; March 9th, 2011 at 19:24.
    Omega Planet Ocean (2500D)
    Hamilton Khaki Auto Chrono
    Tissot LeLocle Chrono
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic
    Seiko

Re: When did you become a watch person? How long has it been this way? My evolution...

As the story goes, I was 3 when I wanted my first watch, and my parents bought it for me. Disneyland, I believe, circa the quake in 89. Pretty sure it was a Mickey.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Re: When did you become a watch person? How long has it been this way? My evolution...

Lol I had one of those...circa 1986
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    As the story goes, I was 3 when I wanted my first watch, and my parents bought it for me. Disneyland, I believe, circa the quake in 89. Pretty sure it was a Mickey.
    Tissot LeLocle Chrono
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic
    Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OK, I'll play: My parents gave me a Timex wind-up back in the late '60s. I was probably about 6 or 7. Spidel band if I remember. I wore it every day until at some point, it vanished somewhere or broke. I had a chance to go to Europe to study when I was 14. I asked my grandmother what good watches I might afford in Switzerland, and she recommended Bucherer. I bought one for about $60-80, still have it. I have shown it here on WUS several times, just had it worked on last year. When my grandfather died around that time I inherited his old Hamilton and Gubelin, which I still treasure. In the '80s I was a student and starving artist and tended to wear dime-store digitals, so I wouldn't wreck my one good watch. My wife gave me a lovely little Seiko quartz moon watch in 1990, and I wore THAT every day until about 5 years ago. I felt somehow disloyal to her gift if I fed my growing watch obsession. I started looking at online watch sales and stopping at watch counters to oggle. I bought a few surprisingly good fashion quartz watches when they turned up at discount shops or Goodwill. I warned my wife a few years ago: "You know, if I ever start collecting anything, it might end up being watches." I'm hardly posh so that obsession never turned into a drawer full of Rolexes, thank goodness. I use WUS to scratch the itch. Problem is, like poison oak, the more you scratch the worse it gets!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

I am in my 50s and have been a watch "person" for all of 3 months or so.

I had lifetime of Casios and Fossils until I bought a Tissot PR 100 on a January Carribean vacation. A moderately priced watch for sure, but it got me started researching and now it is only a matter of time before I get a mechanical dress watch.....and then I will need a decent dive watch.........

I guess it's just in me. I never get sick of looking at them.

Well, it started in 2003, and keep growing fastly. I saw a watch catalog which includes $$$ watches. I said, "what the heck is this" This is how i became a watch person :)

Quote Originally Posted by dandy_don View Post
    I am in my 50s and have been a watch "person" for all of 3 months or so.

I had lifetime of Casios and Fossils until I bought a Tissot PR 100 on a January Carribean vacation. A moderately priced watch for sure, but it got me started researching and now it is only a matter of time before I get a mechanical dress watch.....and then I will need a decent dive watch.........
    There you go :)
    Quote Originally Posted by On The Run View Post
    I guess it's just in me. I never get sick of looking at them.
    I also don't get sick of looking at them, I just like watching them move :)
    Tissot LeLocle Chrono
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic
    Seiko

When I discovered my wrists.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Elementary school - getting a new watch was always a big deal in my home...nothing fancy....but always fun. Getting my Q-bert Nelsonic in 4th grade was monumental - spent years with Guess watches and Fossil watches - seeing a Tag in the jewelers window in high school (1990) was the first time I learned how expensive a watch could be - I had no concept of quartz vs. automatic. When I earned enough to buy a Tag, many years later, to me it was a milestone.....began to learn more about watches and the world of automatics......and then found WUS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information