When did you know you were into watches?

Thread: When did you know you were into watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I knew it I was going to be when I decided to check if my Mickey Mouse dial watch my mom just bought for me was water proof. I sank it into a bucket filled with water and let me tell you, my mother wasn't very happy...
    No wonder now, most of the watches I own are divers. Sweet!!!

Tell us your story now!
    Current: : ETA FREE collection-!
    A few pieces...

Re: When did you know you were into watches?

I grew up in a small town. when I was 14, I saw a timex at the drug store. back then they had everything including a soda jerk. I walked to 4 different stores to find the best price and bought one. we even had a woolworths in town and a real 5 and dime store.

When I was a kid, I used to take old watches apart to see how they worked. As I was punished later by my parents, apparently the watches weren't that old!
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My dad used to repair watches as a sideline. My first watch was a Bulova (IIRC) military issue. It had the broad arrow and lots of numbers on the back.

And yes, I wish I had it now but after 40 years ...

If anyone has any pictures of British military issue Bulovas (1960's) I would be eternally grateful.

I think mine stems from my childhood in seeing a few watches with my dad IE, His Seamaster / Heuer 1000 Professional, i can always remember him showing the full lume face of the Heuer in the Dark was quite amazing :)

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bond View Post
    I knew it I was going to be when I decided to check if my Mickey Mouse dial watch my mom just bought for me was water proof. I sank it into a bucket filled with water and let me tell you, my mother wasn't very happy...
    No wonder now, most of the watches I own are divers. Sweet!!!

Tell us your story now!
    When i was 10 years old i was the best pupil of my class, my parents offered me a watch, it was a digital Citizen chrono WR 100m, i loved it because the strap and the case were one piece (rubber) and since i was practicing Swimming at that time i used to wear it each time i went to the pool or to the beach, i was so proud to show my watch to everybody vecause it was waterproof, and at that age trust me it's something that makes you feel you're special to own such a timepiece compared to others (it was the middle of the eighties) and since then my passion for watches began to grow more and more, i found myself spending all my pocket money in a collection of no less than 30 Casio G-SHOCK & 22 Swatch when i became 15 years old, then after the university i was able to find some jobs and earn more, so i switched to Automatic and known watch brands, my first expensive one was a Longines that i lost during a trip few years ago, and all the other ones i owned before disappeared under my building when it collapsed couple of years ago...fortunately i am still here to work hard and replace my lost with new timepieces and continue my passion at collecting more, this is my story and hope i didn't bother you much guys...:thanks Cheers!
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etc

I've been fascinated by mechanical miniatures for as long as I can remember. Slot-cars, model railroads, RC helicopters/airplanes, and then watches after I got my Seiko 6309-7049 while in the Navy.

It just fascinates me to no end that something that small and that intricate can take the stresses of day-to-day living, and shine doing it. Incredible.

So, to answer your question, Ive been intrigued by watches and miniature machines since early childhood; some 40 years now.

Cheers!
    Bill
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

Not sure, two years ago I had two watches. Now I have lots more, I started off slow and then went nuts!! Now have 50+
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Last month, when I found this forum. I wish I could unfind it. Bought 4 watches in the last 30 days. Haven't bought that many in the previous 30 years.

-Dave

Banned

I used to walk with my dad in the Centre of Stockholm and windowshop for watches in the early 70. In those days, Sthlm had 4 stores with quality watches. The best ones were one shop with Jaeger and Patek, the other one with Rolex and Ebel. Omegas were a little more common. I use to love (and still do) Pateks Exlipse (blue) and ? made from a 20 (?) gold US$. When Dad bought his Megaquarts Marine chrono, I got my first Omega. A couple of weeks later he exchanged the Megaq. for an Ebel. He hated the height of it, did not fit under the cuffs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information