WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which of the following temporal moments best correlates to when you decide you like a given watch?

• Blah blah blah blah

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.

When do you determine that you like a watch?

2K views 45 replies 31 participants last post by  Bradjhomes 
#1 ·
Which of the following temporal moments best correlates to when you decide you like a given watch?
  1. Before you learn its price.
  2. After you learn its price.

All the best.

#2 ·
I would have to say Before. I see a lot of watches on TV or movies that I have no information about. Then, it's just a matter of looking for a similar watch in my price range. For all I know the watch on TV could be too cheap for me to consider owning, as far as quality. Like a cheap fashion watch I would never want to wear.

I admire a lot of luxury watches by their looks. It doesn't mean that I would want to own one though. I probably wouldn't want to. I'd rather just look for an affordable substitute that looks somewhat similar.

If I see a nice looking Seiko or Fossil I'll probably be more interested in it and try to found out more about it, since I admire the brand already.

#6 ·
If I like a watch, then I will look at the price. Price only determines if I could actually purchase the watch. There are plenty of watches that I love that are currently out of my price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: tony20009
#7 ·
After the 3rd date?

Price has no bearing on how much I like a watch. It only has a bearing on whether or not I would pay that price or if i can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
I almost always knew the price first, and liked the watch after. Not necessarily because I only liked a watch because it's pricey (admittedly I did that when I really wanted pricey watches), but because I almost always knew the price range first before I knew whether or not I liked a watch.

e.g. I was first introduced to Seiko when my Grandfather gifted me some Seiko watches. I learned/knew the price range as mostly <$1,000 and affordable for me. So when I went watch browsing for Seiko watches, I knew the price range (mostly <$1,000) before I found the Seiko watches that I liked and bought.

e.g. I learned all about the different brands and their price ranges at WUS. For a period, higher price = more like. Then as my watch obsession went along, higher price = more like, till the price hit my maximum affordability, beyond which, I didn't care for the watches (there's just no point). But that didn't mean that I liked all watches that are high priced, I still needed to like the look of them.

Now that my plan is to buy no more watches and enjoy what I have, the prices of watches (or watches in general) other than what I have do not concern me anymore (in the sense that I have no desire to buy anymore).

I guess I'm not a watch enthusiast. I liked some watches, disliked some watches, was crazy about watches for a time (largely influenced by WUS), and not as crazy about them now. I still like mine, I wear them, but have no desire to buy more, because I feel like I have what I like and I have the best for me already. e.g. I have watches with different styles that I enjoy, different movements that I enjoy, the best solar/kinetic/mechanical movements that my money could buy.

In a way, I like free stuff, and my watches (other than cost of any future servicing) are free.

#11 ·
I only like a watch after I try it on. Price isn't relevant until I know if it wears well.

I only bought one watch online without a test fitting. It was the Ball Engineer II Genesis pre-order. I rationalized that if I didn't like it, I would give it to my son. As it turns out, I love it. Sadly, my wife also loves it and she has it on a strap that is too short to fit on my wrist.

#12 ·
I don't really determine that I truly like a watch until I have worn it quite a bit. So, obviously, that is well after learning its price and determining that I can afford it.

Of course I try to determine that I will like the watch before I purchase it, but how it sits on my wrist, how it moves with me and how I feel when I give it a quick glance all seal the deal as to whether it will stay in my frequent rotation or not.

#17 ·
Price does not influence whether I like a watch or not. It does, however, influence whether I buy it or not. I am drawn by visual appeal, so there are plenty of low-priced watches that I like, and probably even more high-priced watches that I don't like.

#26 ·
I said "before," but I find it's subtler than that -- or I'm schizophrenic, one or the other ;-) I can be stunned by, say, a particular execution of an F.P. Journe Octa but then learning of its US$25K+ price tag puts it immediately out of mind. But falling for a watch and then finding out that its price is within reach? That it can be realistically added to the "next" list? Pure joy...

Reactions: vkalia
#27 ·
Tony, it seems like there's a sub-question lurking...

I'm imagining clicking on a Hodinkee post, skimming their write up, pausing on the pictures. During that exercise, I'm deciding whether or not I like the featured piece. I'm looking for flaws, asking myself what I'd have done differently. I'm also trying to guess the price, which is almost always disclosed in the last paragraph.

I'm also wondering if you're trying to suss out our biases. For example, I tend to gravitate towards watches in the $5,000-$15,000 range because I'm comfortable with that outlay on an annual basis. However, when I stumbled upon the Junghans Meister Telemeter, my opinion of the watch was not negatively impacted by the price tag.

I'm about to start rambling, so I'll end here.

#28 ·
Weird question. I don't have to know a watch's price to know whether I like it. In fact, why would I bother asking the price if I didn't like it?

Big difference between liking a watch and deciding you want to buy it.

#30 ·
1. Before I learn its price.

More specifically, price doesn't enter into it. I could like, or not like, a watch if I never see its price tag.

I edge into #2, however, if the price is low enough that I'd be willing to overlook some less-than-perfect things (like folded links on a Seiko 5; even old Rolexes had folded links, didn't they?). Still, some bits, like cheap-feeling screw collars on chronograph pushers, turn me away no matter how low the price is.

#31 · (Edited)
Similar to many others, price is irrelevant to whether I'm drawn to the watch or not, it only impacts whether I will actually buy it.

I like the JLC Reverso and the JLC perpetual calendar with moon phase that Dr. Strange wore, but can't afford either. On the other hand, I was passing time so I went to check out Piaget in Taipei, but the not quite rectangular shape just didn't work for me, even though it expensive.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Happy New Year everyone. The time has just clicked into the 2017 in the UK and I'm here talking to you sorry lot. Albeit with a fine bottle of wine on my desk!

I decide if I like a watch BEFORE I know the price. But liking a watch and intending to buy it DEPENDS on the price. That's a difference between cost and value. And I always make that part of my thinking.

For example I tried on a Parmigiani Tourbillon three years ago and I loved it (and still do). But it cost £170,000 and I didn't like that price, nor did I consider it value. Therefore I liked the watch but disliked the price/value afterwards.

#36 ·
Off Topic:
What a PITA it is trying to buy high quality and excellent condition vintage watches! Varying notions of what "excellent condition" means. "'What's the service history? Oh, it's been well maintained.' 'Yes, prior to surviving Katrina.'" All the research and then traveling to see the piece only to find out it's not exactly what one was led to expect, and then having to politely listen to "why I want this watch and why it's such a great piece" in comparison to the one I wanted. Really? I truly am getting to the point that I may just scrap the notion of putting a few in my collection. I'm finding I don't really have the patience for vintage watches.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.