When does a brand deserve the title A-class brand?

Thread: When does a brand deserve the title A-class brand?

When does a brand deserve the title A-class brand?

Question taken from the dive watch forum, concerning the fact if U-boat is trying to get A-class status.

The question is, when do you compete with (what are A-class brands actually?) an A-class brand?
    If your prices are just as high?, or if you are creative with existing movements?, or if you develop your own movement?
    Just my question, is Sinn (with the U1 790,- euro's direct from factory) an A-brand?, and if not, is UTS with their 1000M diver for 2350,- dollar an A-class brand?
    What are the criteria for an A- class brand?

Cheers,

Daddel.:-S
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Re: When does a brand deserve the title A-class brand?

Probably when you jack up the price and put some famous faces on your advertisement. Ask people on the street to name an A-brand watch you'll always get the same answers, Rolex, Tag, Breitling and those are notorious for spending money on advertisement. Ofcourse you got to back it up with some sort of quality but Tag doesn't really impress me that much despite the cool watches. There's also a time factor, it takes some years to pull off this trick u-boat is trying to do. I bet they won't sell their watches in clothingstores anymore, that's another big factor you gotta sell them in exclusive and expensive stores. That's pretty much how you can achieve an A status in the consumer world of BS :-D

My personal opinion is quite different though, this forum is full of A-brands but are only known by watchlovers. At the end it's all about quality and some brands give that for little money including a fine history.

Re: When does a brand deserve the title A-class brand?

Interesting question. I've owned watches from Brequet to Casio and I do think there's a dividing line between "A class" and below. But, A class to one may be C class to another. Just depends on your taste and budget. Even within the "A class" brands, there are often divisions in movement and finish. So, you might have a B or C within an A...so to speak.

Some of my favourite watches I would classify as maybe C class with my own criteria, but I probably wear them more than the "upity" watches I've owned.
    Cheers,
    Bruce

Thread Information