When to leave with crown pulled out?

Thread: When to leave with crown pulled out?

Question When to leave with crown pulled out?

This morning I received a watch that was shipped to me with the crown pulled out. I imagine this was to keep the movement from operating during shipping? What is the benefit of that?

I have also noticed that some of the pictures people post of their watches have the crown pulled out: what benefit does that confer? Is it better to keep the movement from being able to operate when the watch is being stored?

I hope someone can explain!

Thanks a lot,
    David

stuffler,mike

Re: When to leave with crown pulled out?

I´d never pull out the crown for a long time because dust and humidity may damage the movement. Can´t see any advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by dleibow
    This morning I received a watch that was shipped to me with the crown pulled out. I imagine this was to keep the movement from operating during shipping? What is the benefit of that?

I have also noticed that some of the pictures people post of their watches have the crown pulled out: what benefit does that confer? Is it better to keep the movement from being able to operate when the watch is being stored?

Thanks a lot,
    David
    Some people may pull the crown out when taking pictures to stop the movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

NEG

If it's a hacking movement I wonder if any additional shock protection would be given to the balance wheel by the hacking lever ......other than that I can't see why you would do it.

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Well, if it's a quartz movement, pulling the crown will save some battery power. The movement still uses power to count time, but it doesn't expend any powering the motors that move the hands.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

I rotate wearing my watches at random and leave the crowns out (of what I'm not wearing) so I can wind them each night. I believe the wear and tear of unscrewing - screwing in a crown daily would have the potential for mere damage than dust. Haven't had any issues in the 4 years I've been doing it.

Matt
    If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you see devils tearing your life away. But, if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by dleibow

Thanks a lot,
    David
    On ETA's page they give the battery life on quartz and show it as battery save power mode with crowns pulled out ! And how much longer the battery a last and the amount of power savings on a each type movement !

Thread Information