When the Rolex AD doesn't have (blank), the alternative is (blank)
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: When the Rolex AD doesn't have (blank), the alternative is (blank)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

All these entertaining threads about people being shunned by their Rolex AD inspired me.

Take a Rolex model that cannot be obtained and offer up it's alternative. Bonus points if you provide the relative price factor.

When the Rolex AD doesn't have (______), the alternative is (______) for ___ the price.

• Explorer I, Sinn 556, 0.25
    • Explorer II, Monta Skyquest, 0.20
    • Daytona, El Primero, 0.35
    • Sky Dweller, G-Shock Full Metal, 0.033
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

Re: When the Rolex AD doesn't have (blank), the alternative is (blank)

If you want a Rolex then there isn’t an alternative. Wait until you find one and buy it, otherwise the Rolex itch won’t be scratched and you will most likely end up flipping the replacement, losing money, and buying a Rolex instead. Save yourself the hassle. Get what you want the first time
    khronolektur, Badbebe and KANESTER like this.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

While I agree with the second poster, I moved on a long time ago and am happier for it. Perhaps it is age, really not caring about status etc. I've had a blast exploring other brands. Grand Seiko, Corum Admirals Cup Legend 42, JLC Polaris, many of the Ball series, Omega AT and beyond Alot to replace the Rolex Itch.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    that 1 guy and khronolektur like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If this is just a feature-by-feature comparison, then we can sit there at watches in the sub-$2k range.

What would I get if the ones I wanted weren’t immediately available? Setting aside my opinion that I shouldn’t waste time or money on substitutes that I don’t really want...

- Daytona <> Speedy Pro (it’s the only other chrono with an interesting history; tied for third would be a Monaco and some flavor of El Primero);
    - Datejust <> Globemaster (but I can always find a DJ);
    - ExpII <> um... GS GMT of some kind, I guess. Haven’t decided about whether I’d prefer a “traveler’s” or “office” GMT, though.
    - ExpI <> Khaki Field manual no-date. Third choice might be a Railmaster.
    - Sub (any flavor) <> SKX007/9. I’ve suggested that the SKX is objectively better, too, as a dive watch — no-glare matte dial, shockproof printed indices, more lume, shatterproof protected aluminum bezel, offset crown, and cheap enough to lose. Third choice is another Seiko.
    - Cellini <> can always find a Cellini. But force my hand and I’d get a no-date Tresor in yellow gold or a Nomos Metro in gold.
    - Day-Date <> can’t think of anything that’s a substitute. That watch is about much more than its features.
    Simon and GrouchoM like this.

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    If you want a Rolex then there isn’t an alternative. Wait until you find one and buy it, otherwise the Rolex itch won’t be scratched and you will most likely end up flipping the replacement, losing money, and buying a Rolex instead. Save yourself the hassle. Get what you want the first time
    I don't want a Rolex, or rather, I don't want to play the Rolex AD game or pay the Rolex price. Had I bought that Hulk Sub for $8k a couple years ago I would probably be laughing on my way to the bank today, and then buying a perfectly acceptable substitute with just the profits. As you can see from my collection, I could get a Rolex if I wanted one, but made the careful decision not to do so. That said, if a minty Oysterquartz appeared in my watch box, I'd be pleased. If I ever feel compelled to get another Rolex in the future (had a DJ for years), then I'll go to great lengths to avoid the ADs.

What I find amusing is that people who already have a Rolex are willing to play the AD game. I find it insulting, because I know that it's just a trinket and there are other things to be an idiot about for free.

And I totally forgot a couple to add to the game:

Sea Dweller, Seiko Marine Master 300, 0.25
    Milgauss, Omega AT, 0.5
    khronolektur likes this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

Submariner - BB/BB58 - 0.45

Rolexes are great watches but there is so much more out there. Scratch the itch, for sure, but I don’t buy the whole “it has to be a Rolex thing”.

Rolex ADs are not a fun experience unless you’re a VIP customer. Totally put off for the time being from my own experiences.
    khronolektur likes this.

Explorer 2 - TAG way2013

Explorer 1 - Longines Conquest

Datejust - Ball Marvelight, GS (some) sbgr or sbgv models

OP - Sinn 556i

Air King - one of my niece's handmade bracelets, because if I'm going to wear something half baked and ugly, it might as well make at least one person happy
    and not cost me a dime
    MediumRB likes this.
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV225, SBGV205, SBGT241
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    Seiko: Blue Coral Monster
    Casio Oceanus : OCW-s100
    G Shock: GMW-b5000, GX-56bb, GW-b5600

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Submariner - BB/BB58 - 0.45

Rolexes are great watches but there is so much more out there. Scratch the itch, for sure, but I don’t buy the whole “it has to be a Rolex thing”.

Rolex ADs are not a fun experience unless you’re a VIP customer. Totally put off for the time being from my own experiences.
    Exactly my thoughts. There is a world of watches out there! I cant believe there are some people that only buy Rolex. Yes they hold their value well, but if you want that... just buy Gold.

If you are into horology than buy watches!
    Berty234 and khronolektur like this.

When the Rolex AD doesn’t have a Sub then sulk for free and then buy a G Shock to cheer you up.
    Simon likes this.

No Sub, then FF for about the same (now) I guess . . . or, I don't need the Sub. . . or, whatever
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris Stark, upupa epops and Simon like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information