When is servicing a mechanical watch not worth it? - Page 5
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: When is servicing a mechanical watch not worth it?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Re: When is servicing a mechanical watch not worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
    Are you going to buy a car and then NOT change the oil/rotate the tires? Are you going to buy a house and then NOT mow the lawn?

For "adult" purchases, the purchase price is a small part of the over-all lifetime price of the item. They have a built-in maintenance component. For luxury items like boats, RVs, air planes, the on-going maintenance is even MORE costly. That's why it is often said "It's not what you can afford to buy, it's what you can afford to maintain."
    This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why spend more $$ on something you don't even like?
    Rosarito likes this.

I'll take it.
    Hack a wife's watch, keep her happy for a week, teach her to hack her own watch, keep her happy for life!
    Wife replies: ...teach her to hack her own watch, she doesn't need you anymore! 8^o
    What's the positional variation on a pendulum clock?
    Be annoying. The world needs more noyings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Servicing an ETA movement should not be expensive. I've had it done and it ran +/- €120 in total. But to each their own. If you don't really like the watch, flip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    I decide whether or not I want to be troubled with the cost and the waiting for service, then either get it serviced or move it on. If I list a watch in need of service, I will detail the fact in the listing so a buyer knows what to expect.
    Usually I just get bored with a perfectly functional watch and sell it. There have been times I have decided to sell a freshly serviced watch, and I’ll provide service records with the watch. At the moment I am waiting for one to return from service, and a few others are awaiting their “fate.”
    Maybe that's my problem, why I keep buying new watches that I don't really need or want.
    "I just get bored with a perfectly functioning watch". If a new watch is running at let's say - 12 S/D I fiddle with the regulation and then when I get it to suit my acceptability I move on.
    I owe you one.

If the movement is cheaper to replace than to service, then replace the movement, don't service it.

If the watch is cheaper to replace than servicing or replacing the movement, then replace the watch, don't service it.

If the watch has sentimental value, then ignore all that, and get it serviced.

Tapatalk is all natural. Wash in cold water and tumble dry on low heat. Some talk shrinking may occur.
    Slm643 likes this.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

That depends on where it is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by FBPB View Post
    Servicing an ETA movement should not be expensive. I've had it done and it ran +/- €120 in total. But to each their own. If you don't really like the watch, flip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Soto View Post
    Personally, I see no reason to ever spend money servicing an inexpensive watch. Buy it, wear it for a year or two, sell it, buy another watch...
    While I constantly argue the idea of keeping watches longer and eventually servicing when needed ever since I started this hobby more than 10 years ago I’ve done this the whole time, continuously buying and selling. The only service I’ve paid for to this point was replacing a broken crystal.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5