When you received your first tritium watch....

Thread: When you received your first tritium watch....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question When you received your first tritium watch....

... were you kinda' dissapointed with the amount of lume it had?

I really really like my Marathon TSAR but in all honesty... I was expecting the lume to be more.. well... bright.

Dont get me wrong, I would have still purchased my TSAR even knowing about its "lack" of lume. For some reason I was expecting more... I knew it couldnt match a fully charged shot from say... my Samurai.

Problem is I was carrying my TSAR in from a drive to the local jewelry shop to size it and I happened to have my Nighthawk on today. When I carried it into my home I headed to my closet where I store all my watches.. and it blew me away how bright my Nighthawk was vs my TSAR. I had to do a double take!

Anyways... was your first experience with tritium the same as mine?
    - Nick

Cars or Watches... that is the question!

Re: When you received your first tritium watch....

problem is... your drive took place during the daytime, where the sun happened to charge the Nighthawk. For another unfair comparison that'll favor the TSAR, leave both in a dark area (closet) for 2 days, then enter the closet and see which is brighter. Tritium doesn't hold light charges for very long, unlike superluminova.

What you need to due is make the comparison at say 4:00 AM. There won't be any comparison with the tritium.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh trust me I know the TSAR would be lookin' good at 4am and anytime my Nighthawk couldnt get a light charge.

Im just saying... that when I first saw my Tritium in the dark it wasnt what I thought it would be. I expected a little bit more on the brightness.
    - Nick

Cars or Watches... that is the question!

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

About one hour after total darkness my tritium watches outglow just about everything, and after two hours they out glow everything.

So, I guess the answer is no.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tchaos View Post
    problem is... your drive took place during the daytime, where the sun happened to charge the Nighthawk. For another unfair comparison that'll favor the TSAR, leave both in a dark area (closet) for 2 days, then enter the closet and see which is brighter. Tritium doesn't hold light charges for very long, unlike superluminova.
    I'd have to disagree on that. Tritium is self luminous in little gas tubes which needs no light source to 'charge', meaning you could leave it in a dresser drawer for a month and it will be the same brightness as when you put it in. Granted it is not as bright as other lumes, such as superluminova, but it can be very easily read in complete darkness. It is said that it will glow for up to 25 years, not sure how true that is to be honest but I have had my Luminox since about '98 and it is still just as bright as when I bought it.

I have to agree with Brian. I've had Luminox and other tritium watches over the last few years, and the tubes have continued to be bright and readable in comparison to some of my other watches. However, the lume on my 2 Seiko sawtooths have undoubtably the best lume of non-tritium watches I personally have every seem! They are simply amazing....
    Chris

All Quartz: Arctos GPW Infantry;
    Deep Blue AP Chrono; Citizen BN0150-10E;
    Tawatec EO MkII ICS; Seiko SNE645

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    I'd have to disagree on that. Tritium is self luminous in little gas tubes which needs no light source to 'charge', meaning you could leave it in a dresser drawer for a month and it will be the same brightness as when you put it in. Granted it is not as bright as other lumes, such as superluminova, but it can be very easily read in complete darkness. It is said that it will glow for up to 25 years, not sure how true that is to be honest but I have had my Luminox since about '98 and it is still just as bright as when I bought it.
    It will be good for that long, and probably longer. Tritium watches work on a similar principle to fluorescent light bulbs. The inside of a tube is coated with some sort of phosphor material (like the glass of a light bulb ). The tube is filled with some sort of gas (for fluorescent tubes, something inert like nitrogen). Tritium vials, of course, are filled with Tritium gas.

This is where the similarity ends. Fluorescent bulbs need an electric current passed through them to excite the phosphors so that they emit light.
    Tritium is a radioactive gas (it's just a radioactive isotope of Hydrogen) that emits beta particles of radiation to provide stimulation to the phosphor material.

Don't be concerned, however. Beta particles occur naturally. They are the lowest power form of radation, and they do not even have enough power to penetrate through a layer of dead skin. This also means that they do not have enough power even to truly penetrate the face and bezel of a watch, either.

Over time, as the radioactive particles break down due to decay, there are fewer atoms of radioactive tritium, and more atoms of "stable" Hydrogen. This is what causes Tritium to dim, when there is less radiation to excite the phosphors.

In the early days of luminescence, the hands and numbers were just painted with Radium paint. Radium has a LOT more power than Tritium, which is why they outlawed its use.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeance View Post
    ... were you kinda' dissapointed with the amount of lume it had?

(snip)

Anyways... was your first experience with tritium the same as mine?
    I came to my tritium vial watch (a Marathon) without ever having a watch with great lume to begin with, so I wasn't particularly disappointed. The lume is strong enough for me to read it from 2 or 3 feet away on the bedside table.

As I understand it, Tritium has a half-life of about 12 years, so it should be pretty bright for at least that long. After 25 years, it won't have any lume left, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bonmot View Post
    After 25 years, it won't have any lume left, I guess.
    It will have about 1/4 the original light output. In another 12 years it will have half that again (1/8 the original).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information