When you are seeking inspiration for a new purchase, where do you look?

View Poll Results: How do you find watches when you don't know what you really want?

Voters
23. This poll is closed
  • Ask friends

0 0%
  • Conduct my own search

13 56.52%
  • Post in WWW forums and groups

2 8.70%
  • Ask my "watch guy"

1 4.35%
  • Visit the local shopping centers, malls and stores

1 4.35%
  • I alwys know what I want

6 26.09%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wuyeah
  • 1 Post By dspaulson

Thread: When you are seeking inspiration for a new purchase, where do you look?

When you are seeking inspiration for a new purchase, where do you look?

At any given time, each of us is probably ready for something new. Sometimes we know exactly what we want, other times we know we want something of a type, but not exactly what that thing is. When the latter is the case, how do you go about finding the right thing?

I have a few sites I check out. I also, as I come across stuff tend to save the pic to my pc so I can peruse them when I'm ready to buy, but I kill time here and there trying to keep up with industry news too.

Last edited by tony20009; October 23rd, 2013 at 12:44.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: When you are seeking inspiration for a new purchase, where do you look?

Check out daily WRUW wrist shots!
    lmcgbaj likes this.

I voted "know what I want" since I have a long list of "targeted" watches in my "queue", but I do try to keep up with the watch industry news and the releases that come out year to year. That being said, I get the sense that many of the new watches that are reviewed and hyped in the watch magazines, blogs, and media, are too often quite avante garde or high-end for my taste, and really only provide a bit of entertainment value and little else (for me).
    jayb1314 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dspaulson View Post
    I voted "know what I want" since I have a long list of "targeted" watches in my "queue", but I do try to keep up with the watch industry news and the releases that come out year to year. That being said, I get the sense that many of the new watches that are reviewed and hyped in the watch magazines, blogs, and media, are too often quite avante garde or high-end for my taste, and really only provide a bit of entertainment value and little else (for me).
    I totally understand. I should have included this site on my list too: HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories. The "Hod" seems to review stuff that priced more to most folks' budgets. ABTW is also a pretty "equal opportunity" blog. I enjoy reading about sensibly priced watches too for even though I'm willing to spend a tidy sum, but only when I'm buying a piece with a specific collection goal in mind, I'm always on the lookout for interesting models at reasonable prices. It's hard for me to envision being a "watchie" and not liking and buying things across the whole spectrum of watches - total tools, generic business, affordable sophistication, avant garde, funky and fun, and on over to masterworks.

About the only thing that's important is that the attention to detail in the watch's execution be quite good, regardless of the price point. Obviously there are aspects of detail that are very pricey to achieve. Low priced watches that try to achieve that, but end up producing but a mediocre at best representation aren't things I will buy. On the other hand, low priced watches built with a recognition of what's achievable and keep within those bounds and execute well are wonderful things to have and I'll jump on it and be as satisfied as I am with stuff at the other end of the economic scale.

TY for your thoughtful comment. Happy horology to you.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Thread Information