When you think some one is a WUS...but
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: When you think some one is a WUS...but

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

When you think some one is a WUS...but

So there are many threads on: do people notice your watches...etc...

What if you notice a nice watch and think they are a fellow WIS but when you compliment them on their timepiece they are clueless...

I had a coworker with a nice looking Rolex Datejust, so i said to him: Al, thats a nice Datejust! He responded: No, it's a Rolex!
    Ok...then...I backed away slowly and never talked to him again...just kidding, i still talk to him.

Another guy at work had a Seamaster, so I asked what model his seamaster was ( i have two myself)...again i had to elaborate on what I meant by that. He said it was a gift, all he knew that it was Omega and it was automatic meaning no need for batteries.

Couple days ago at a hockey game a fellow sitting behind me had a Tissot Seastar 1000 (and i just happened to own exact same model few years back) so I compliment him on his nice Seastar 1000. And he had no clue what I was talking about! Kind of dissapointing.

This happened few times here and there.

Once at a coffee shop a guy walks in with a seiko sumo on a nato strap and sits near me...sure enough, he knew his watches. We had a pleasant conversation and exchanged email.

Any of you have similar experiences?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Anatoly; February 3rd, 2018 at 15:46.
    SodiumMonkey likes this.

I found this whilst serving in the military, I compliment many officers on their Rolex, omegas ect and many just knew it was an expensive automatic watch and that was it.

Yet like you if someone is working a JDM Seiko the chances are they are into watches and easy to strike up a conversation.
    Anatoly and georges zaslavsky like this.
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

Re: When you think some one is a WUS...but

1. I never met a WUS and don't expect it's realistic- perhaps one day they'll create an android based on forum infrastructure ... :) WUS = watchuseek forum. WIS = watch idiot savant - a person. Reality is - few are savants. So perhaps better question - when I think someone is a watch enthusiast

2. I've read the Rolex model story at least 50 times by now. "Ooh, nice Submariner\Datejust\Daytona. No, it's a Rolex". Somehow I think this has turned into an urban legend, rather than a real interaction. At least there is an easy way to address it. if you want to compliment someone, rather than saying "nice Sub 14060", you can simply start with "beautiful watch" and see if a discussion develops

3. that said, many Rolex and Omega owners did get it as a gift or bought it as a nice present to themselves. Nothing wrong w that, but we are the weird ones, not them.

4. All of that aside, you want to meet watch enthusiasts - go to GTG events. Also, industry events is a great place to socialize. That's the only place thus far I've met like minded folks - Timecrafters, Watchtime NYC, Watchbuys roadshow, etc.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It’s my guess that the vast majority of nice watches end up on the wrists op people who either got them as gifts or wear them simply as a display of monetary value and it’s only us lot that know all the ins and outs of the models.
    Anatoly, Ard and Tres like this.

Most guys just wear watches, they’re not really interested in them. I know a guy with a sub, seamaster, and a PO. He likes them, but has no interest really in watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Anatoly likes this.

I had people who comment on whatever watch I'm wearing by name. They say there are a WIS then shows off some POS watch that they over paid for. I'm so tempted at times to tell them they couldve gotten better watch for the same price. But I never do. Why rain on someone parade.

These are the same type people that always says how they love my scuba dude but thinks my OP is too "basic". Despite the fact thats I try to educate them that is the point of a GADA watch.
    Anatoly likes this.

Seiko diver + NATO strap increases the odds incredibly.
    Anatoly, jmorski and il Pirati like this.

My experience is similar to other posters.

99% of people I have met wearing a Subby or a Seamaster (etc) have just got a few £ and so bought what they thought was a status symbol/nice watch, without any knowledge or interest in horology.

But that does not just apply to our particular hobby, how many people who drive a Porsche or Ferrari have any interest in cars??

When I worked in a garage in my younger days I would often check the oil for guys who didn't know how to open their bonnet, let alone find the dipstick.
    Last edited by bigclive2011; February 3rd, 2018 at 15:52.
    Anatoly, TJ Boogie and Ard like this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by bigclive2011 View Post
    My experience is similar to other posters.

But that does not just apply to our particular hobby, how many people who drive a Porsche or Ferrari have any interest in cars??

When I worked in a garage in my younger days I would often check the oil for guys who didn't know how to open there bonnet, let alone find the dipstick.
    I think youre 100% right. I drive a very english sports car. People ask me questions about it all the time. I never looked under the hood, dont know how much horsepower it is. All I know its a fast two seater that has no space for kids :). It has no space to store anything, so I dont have to run any errands.
    Dee & Ricky G-shock, Dornbluth 99.1 IWC Big Pilot, Selvin, JLC Memovox, Omega Speedy Pro, Vintage Seamaster,PAM 243 Rolex 1675, 16600, 16610, 16610LV, 114300, Slava Big Zero, Tudor Snowflake Vostok 2013 WUS Amphibia

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    It’s my guess that the vast majority of nice watches end up on the wrists op people who either got them as gifts or wear them simply as a display of monetary value and it’s only us lot that know all the ins and outs of the models.
    +1. Curious to know the age demographic as well. Possibly more hipsters?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information