When your grail watch ends up being your grail watch
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: When your grail watch ends up being your grail watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

When your grail watch ends up being your grail watch

Are my collecting days over?

In May 2014 I bought my "watch to beat all other watches"... a Rolex BLNR. Instinctually I immediately began squirreling away money for another watch even though I had no interest in another watch nor knew what watch I might want. In December I began my quest for my next watch. It wasn't that I was bored with my BLNR... it just seemed like the appropriate "collector" thing to do now that the fun money fund was filling back up. I researched ad nauseam chronographs, high accuracy quartz, moon phase, spring drives... the list goes on and on. I finally determined there was not a "next level" watch that I really wanted... so then started looking laterally and downward... pilot watches, high end tool watches, G-Shocks... the list goes on.

After 8 months my Quest For The Holy Grail has turned into my Quest For A Holy Grail. When I'm in a meeting I look at my wrist and ask myself "what watch would I rather be wearing?"... nothing comes to mind. I ask myself the same question when swimming, snorkeling or boating... nothing. Mowing the lawn or washing my car? ... I love wearing my BLNR when I do that. I do still wear my Visodate to church, though.

I'm really struggling to envision myself with a watch in most any situation that I would rather be wearing than my BLNR, which leads me to think it really is my grail... and if not my grail, maybe my destiny. I tried to force myself to want Grand Seiko, they're just too thick... I looked at additional Rolex, and while I may end up with another in some weird impulsive moment there are none that I'm really obsessed with. I've considered the EXP II Polar for months, but then I think, "I'd rather be wearing my BLNR". I've even considered a Blue Pelegos strictly because it would give me good forum material for the next 6 months... but $4500 to help me knock out another 750 - 1000 posts, I don't think so. After all, what would I rather be wearing, a BLNR or Blue Pelagos? See my problem?

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else ever hit a wall like this... I still like reading the forum posts and learning about new watches but how long can a dry spell last where no new obsessions are created? Back when I started collecting I already had the next picked out before the previous one arrived by mail. Now this. Do I need therapy?

schrauth, Seaswirl, Vlance and 9 others like this.

Re: When your grail watch ends up being your grail watch

Good for you. Wear it in good health and keep saving, cause you never know. As the saying goes. It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
    lovebandit likes this.

Enjoy the current state of your watch journey. It is rare to feel that way, and it is a really good place to be. Enjoy the BLNR to the fullest and keep saving up. In the end, you will either have money for a new Grail or you will have a nice stash of savings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's true watch love! Congratulations! I can only hope my love for my JLC lasts as long.

I can relate.. Am I done with buying new watches? Of course no.. But I am happy with my current collection.. That is the balance point I think.. Took me some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rolex DSSD 166600 | Omega 3570.50 | Casio Frogman

Sounds like you have achieved what many are striving for, you are happy and content with what you got, you are wearing your grail watch proudly and you are saving money at the same time. What more could you possibly ask for?
    Last edited by schrauth; July 21st, 2015 at 04:54.

Sounds like you're content which is a good thing. Hard not to love the BLNR. There are a lot of watches out there that I know I'm supposed to want, but they don't do anything for me. I'm sure something will come along in time that I'll lust over, but until then I'm enjoying what I have as well. Enjoy the tranquility.
    Last edited by Seaswirl; July 21st, 2015 at 05:11.

Funny, I was thinking something similar today regarding my sub. It has been my Grail, but I never really gave any conservative thought to the fact that, this might be the only watch I need. Now I'm wondering where to go myself...? I'm thinking, I would really enjoy just the sub and a two tone datejust as my collection.... but then what? I've come to realize, that in a way, it kind of sucks accomplishing your Grail purchase, as you lose the desire.
    At the same time, it's awesome having a watch I truly love to wear everyday.
    Real bittersweetness.
    Tseg, fastfras and kostasd87 like this.

Bittersweetness.

There it is.
    matthewscheuerman likes this.

Don't force it, just sit back and enjoy your situation. You don't have to find your next watch, it will find you. Or not and that is OK, too...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information