Where is the best place to buy a Swiss watch?

Thread: Where is the best place to buy a Swiss watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where is the best place to buy a Swiss watch?

I posted a similar thread in the Jaeger forum, but I though I might get more responses here in the main fourm. I live in Canada but am willing to travel for vacation to a country where I can get the best deal on a watch (Jaeger LeCoultre). Hopefully the savings over the Canadian price plus taxes will pay for the vacation . I can fairly easily drive down to the US where prices are a bit cheaper or I can take a cruise to the Caribbean -I bought an IWC Portuguese in St. Thomas a few years ago for a good price plus it was and tax free. What about buying in Asia, duty free Hong Kong say?, or Europe - would a Swiss watch be cheaper in Switzerland? Given the numerous fakes out there I would like to buy from an AD. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Where is the best place to buy a Swiss watch?

Note that you are still are liable for the import duty upon arrival in Canada. My guess is flights from Switzerland or Germany are targeted by customs for enforcement.

I'm assuming that Duty from any country is the same rate. It would be nice to plan our family vacation around watch shopping where ever that may be.... Europe, Asia, the Caribbean etc..... :) I'll go where the best deals are.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're allowed $750 exemption on a 7 day absence from Canada. Beyond that you would be liable for duty (5% on watches) and HST on anything you buy outside the country. I didn't think the so called "tax free" prices in St Thomas justified buying outside Canada. In Europe you are going to run into VAT which you have to get back before you leave there. Then you are still faced with Customs here when you return.
    Don't confuse your situation with US residents who have much greater exemptions if they buy in the USVI.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; February 1st, 2012 at 15:59.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I've sent you a PM on some local AD info.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue bird View Post
    I've sent you a PM on some local AD info.
    Thanks Blue Bird, got it

From my experience I know Europe's prices were excessive compared to the U.S., even in Switzerland.

I was just in the Caribbean (St. Martin and St. Thomas) and I'd say the watch prices were 25% cheaper than US.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Not an AD but I have purcahsed several watches from Zeetan, even a trade up. Check out his references. Graet prices but stock is not huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    I was just in the Caribbean (St. Martin and St. Thomas) and I'd say the watch prices were 25% cheaper than US.
    This tends to be true however for the most part watches in the Caribbean tend to be one's that have sat in North American AD's for a fair amount of time. Although, the watch you buy in the Caribbean is new it may be much older than you think. This is done in tourist hot spots down there as they have very few complaints simply because the people buying don't live anywhere near there as well as the fact that people on vacation will be more likely to make an impulse purchase.
    I'm not saying avoid it, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information