Where to buy?

Thread: Where to buy?

Where to buy?

I like nice stuff, I'm not a watch collector by any means...

I'm looking to get my wife a Cartier Tank Francaise (I'm after an IWC Portuguese Chrono - or one of many others they make).

Online - Amazon for example - you can save thousands on the RRP, but I am aware that these watches don't generally sell over the net.

So what are the pros/cons of buying from a non-AD?

Obviously the biggest con is it could be fakes, mfr's warranties aren't usually upheld etc. On the flip side, you can save a load of cash that way...

for example - in Tourneau, Manhattan, the IWC is $7,800 - plus tax that's about $8,500; I don't know what Tourneau's haggle policy is. On Amazon, the same watch is about $5k. That's a lot of saving and very tempting despite the non-AD...

advice?

Re: Where to buy?

You pretty much summed it up...significant price savings vs. piece of mind.
    Pros and cons discussed here (or search this forum)...
    http://www.chronocentric.com/watches....shtml#authdlr
    http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/graymarket.shtml

I personally would go with non-AD (aka gray market) and take my chances. Check out www.bernardwatch.com Looks like the sell the Cartier you are interested in. They are gray market but are very reputable. I bought two watches (Omega, Breitling) from them with no problems.

MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

Basically, you would get a 2 year warranty from Amazon.com (assuming that you buy from Amazon, and not one of their partners) as opposed to the manufacturer. Amazon.com won't sell fakes, so don't worry about that (some other websites may or may not, but I know Amazon does not).

Anyway, I purchased a ~$4K watch from Amazon at a savings of about $2K compared to at an AD. The watch needed service a few months later and the process with Amazon was very easy, and a month later the watch came back perfect and is currently within COSC standards (it's been 2 months).

I hope this helps, but after the 2 or 3 year manufacturer's warranty is over, the watches would be serviced at the same cost.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice - as I understand it - the gray market is for pieces from (say) Japan etc? i.e. entirely legit, just not US - or other country of purchase - certified?

So if you bought one of these watches in Japan, you'd have the same issues if you lived in the US?

As far as Amazon goes, I don't think I've come across any high-end stuff like these watches that isn't a partner seller - but I'll look again

Quote Originally Posted by dmcverry View Post
    Thanks for the advice - as I understand it - the gray market is for pieces from (say) Japan etc? i.e. entirely legit, just not US - or other country of purchase - certified?

So if you bought one of these watches in Japan, you'd have the same issues if you lived in the US?

As far as Amazon goes, I don't think I've come across any high-end stuff like these watches that isn't a partner seller - but I'll look again
    Jomashop sells most of the high end stuff on Amazon. I've bought gray market watches before with no issues. To me, it's worth the savings. I prefer to buy used though, you save a lot of money and most of the watches came from an AD.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcverry View Post
    as I understand it - the gray market is for pieces from (say) Japan etc? i.e. entirely legit, just not US - or other country of purchase - certified?
    With watches, gray market refers to non-factory authorized dealers and watches sold by such dealers. You can live in the US and buy an watch that is normally sold and widely available in the US and you would be buying gray market if the dealer you purchased from is not factory authorized to sell that brand. The watch itself is identical whether you buy from the gray market or authorized dealer.

The second link in my post above clearly explains it all.
    Last edited by kontai69; November 9th, 2008 at 18:24.

MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

Thread Information