Where to discuss forum rules and guidelines?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Where to discuss forum rules and guidelines?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to discuss forum rules and guidelines?

Hey everyone. I looked for an appropriate subforum to discuss rules, but I couldn’t find one. I apologize if this is the wrong place for this; please let me know the right place if it’s not.

Anyhow. I’ve recently conducted a sale on Reddit via the r/WatchExchange subreddit. It was an overall great experience and I think there’s something to learn from their rules.

Their most strictly enforced rule is that you must post a picture of the watch you’re selling with your username and date hand-written on a piece of paper placed under the watch. While this can still technically be forged, it is a pretty good indicator of authenticity. Not only does it support the user selling the watch, but it makes it much harder for scammers to steal and reuse photos.

What I’m suggesting is to merely encourage this type of photo as an official “best practice.” I wouldn’t expect to change the way things are required to be done here, as people have been doing it as-is for years. But if people could be politely encouraged to do it this way, it would be a regular, common practice that benefits everyone.

Thanks for reading! 🙂

Re: Where to discuss forum rules and guidelines?

Hello Gerry,

It is easy enough. If you are interested in a watch just ask them to do that and any thing else that would satisfy you that they actually have the watch. Sellers will be happy to help.
    brandon\ and 41Mets like this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Sure, I know you could always ask. What I’m saying is that there are stickied posts with rules and tips at the top of the trade/sale forums that completely miss this concept. It should be promoted as a best practice.

I mean really, it should be a rule, but if it becomes a rule, it would need to have a transitionary period because of all the existing threads.

By encouraging it (or enforcing it, as is done on Reddit), more people benefit from better anti-fraudulent measures. Not everyone will stop and think to ask a seller for this kind of picture, for various reasons. They could be tired on a Monday morning and they haven’t had their coffee yet, for example. Or maybe they’re just super excited about a too-good-to-be-true deal that they weren’t paying attention. Which is, by the way, how scammers succeed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the german Uhrforum has added the rule with the handwritten paper piece watch pic lately.

That's a great idea.

Does this site seem to have a problem with people selling watches they don't have?

Quote Originally Posted by Catatafish View Post
    Does this site seem to have a problem with people selling watches they don't have?
    None that I'm aware of, and I've bought and sold more than 60 watches here in the Sales Corner.

To the OP, your title suggests one train of thought (where to discuss rules and guidelines) but your actual comments simply raise the issue of a certain practice you feel would be useful in the sales forum (including a note with the day's date with the watch in the picture)--as a result, not sure what this thread is really about, but am pretty sure those who need such pictures can ask for them, and so, not really an issue either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Catatafish View Post
    I wouldn't say it's rampant, but there were recently a couple of instances of people getting scammed after a reputable member's account was hacked.