Where do grey market dealers and traders buy their watches
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Where do grey market dealers and traders buy their watches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

So the watch market is a bit of a weird one behind the usual manufacturers selling to authorized dealers, we have this sub market of Indy’s and grey market dealers. These dealers have huge stock of high end watches. So my question is, where do they all come from.

To draw a comparison you have the same setup in the car industry. The car industry has auctions for Indy’s and traders to buy cut down product with small risk. Is this the same in the watch industry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Where do grey market dealers and traders buy their watches

Frustrated ADs who don't move inventory at above grey-market value

Quote Originally Posted by lmarino1 View Post
    Frustrated ADs who don't move inventory at above grey-market value
    So do they just ring round them to see if they’ve got any deals. Does that not mean anyone could buy the odd bargain from an AD for less than anywhere else...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by smithfield11 View Post
    So do they just ring round them to see if they’ve got any deals. Does that not mean anyone could buy the odd bargain from an AD for less than anywhere else...

I guess this will only work if you buy in bulks and that includes not so popular model, not just the ones you want
    Current line up:
    Rolex 116610 LV
    PAM00682
    IG dr3ws

Why are you asking?

Are you frustrated because you can't get a good discount from your AD or favorite store?

Isn't it suffice to know that grey markets sellers are out there and offer a service for those may be unwilling to pay more.

Leave it at that.

I won't pretend to have an inside scoop on GM supply, but just based on casual observations... there are multiple sources:

- buying direct from OEM (either extra stock, discontinued models, or whatever)
    - buying from country wholesaler\distributor
    - buying from ADs (either excess inventory, slow-moving stock, or going out of business stock) (also, some ADs drop brands, and need a place to dump inventory, but for most - I suspect brands require ADs to buy more than they can sell, so best to move into GM at tiny margin, than sit on pricy inventory)
    - floor models
    - watch show\event models
    - prototypes, partial production runs, etc
    ptfly likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post

Isn't it suffice to know that grey markets sellers are out there and offer a service for those may be unwilling to pay more...
    Or in the case of just about any new release stainless steel Rolex, for those willing to pay a whole lot more.

They take a ss Daytona at 10% over MSRP and 3 slow movers at 30% under MSRP from an AD. Sell the slow movers at 25% under the $20,000 each MSRP or even break even at 30% under and sell the Daytona at 30% over it's $14,000 MSRP.

They pay $56,400, sell for $59,200 to $62,200....if I did the math right in my head

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Just say no to the NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
    Or in the case of just about any new release stainless steel Rolex, for those willing to pay a whole lot more.

They take a ss Daytona at 10% over MSRP and 3 slow movers at 30% under MSRP from an AD. Sell the slow movers at 25% under the $20,000 each MSRP or even break even at 30% under and sell the Daytona at 30% over it's $14,000 MSRP.

They pay $56,400, sell for $59,200 to $62,200....if I did the math right in my head
    Perhaps...and without storefront overhead costs. But grey market dealers probably have the slimmest margins on Rolex and just use their stock to bring in customers for the other brands.
    I am grateful for the grey market; I surely would not be as far into this hobby without it.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Banned

They fall off the back of trucks, duh
    Watchbreath likes this.

Right now even grey sellers sell Rolex over msrp (the green sub , the Daytona and so on). I don’t really get the jist of it aside from a must have it moment but I would never shell out more than msrp. I might get to msrp but if all it takes is a little patience then I am willing to wait.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information