Where do I Start

Thread: Where do I Start

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Where do I Start

I thought i would do a quick intro about myself, and then ask for any help in the task that i think befalls me.

Whilst my main thing is collecting old tinplate toys, mecanno etc I have always been fascinated by old watches and clocks, through my dads influence, as he was a clock repairer, (or so i thought just a clock repairer). I lost contact with him many many years ago when he moved to the south west of England, so didn't realise the full extent of what he did.
    I have just recently inherited from him what i can only describe as a substantial amount of items, that i am dumbfounded with receiving, only a small amount being watches, but them alone being in great numbers.

1st thing is, do i or should i try and catalogue all the watch items that i have? if so, i wouldn't know what groups to put them in, apart from quartz, mechanical, pocket watches etc.

2nd what i think looks nice might be worthless and vice versa.

3rd Monetary value is not an issue here, but still would like to put in some sort of order, if i did want to sell some items, or indeed leave them to my sons.

To give you an idea of what i have received is as follows. (just what i think is Watch Related)

at least 400 mechanical Watches, 150 odd complete with straps, the rest just movements, (a lot of Ladies ones).
    probably 200 quartz watches. Ranging from Casio to what i assume is just a Ninetendo Super Mario Bros Novelty game watch.
    10 Russian marked mechanical watches. ((mainly Sekonda,) (didn't Know Sekonda were Russian?)) Boctok, Sportnivie, Paketa, etc
    20 pocket watches.
    100's and 100's of pocket watch parts, dials, parts of movements etc.
    Then trays upon trays, Tins and boxes of tiny watch parts ((wouldn't like to guesstimate quantity, but in the high 1000's of individual items,) (6000 plus ?)).
    Boxes of watch glasses. (100's).
    100's of watchmakers tools.
    Lots of old watch related books.
    What i think are watchmakers lathes parts? brass wheels with handles, small wooden mounted brass turns etc.
    Plus items i wouldn't know how to describe.

As there is so much stuff here, if you want I can put pictures up, if you point me in the direction of what to put on.
    Looking round the forums, i can recognize certain names such as Oris, Medana, Lectro, Rotary (Lots of Rotary Movements and complete Ladies watches), Chancellor, kienzle, Roma, Amito, Anker, Tegrov, Delvina, Tenor, Services just to name a few.

I know its a big ask of your time etc, but i would be grateful in any help as to sorting this out, even if its to say its all what I've already Google'd
    and most of it is what i keep on finding as " Steam Punk"

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Re: Where do I Start

i'm not sure anyone's really going to be able to help unless you literally posted photos of everything? and even then i'm not sure. i don't think that this kind of watch forum is really suitable for trying to catalogue such a huge collection. probably google IS your best bet...
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

Oddly enough eBay may be a good friend to you right now. I would start with the full watches (with or without the strap/bracelet) and search eBay it is going to take some time if you want a good idea of most of the watches but it is a good resource to get you started. You can also put up some pictures here and get ideas. The Russian ones try posting in the Russian sub forum with pictures you will probably be amazed at the amount of knowledge there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

ah yeah, that's what i meant to say
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

Thread Information