Where Are Hamiltons Made?

Thread: Where Are Hamiltons Made?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where Are Hamiltons Made?

I know that Hamilton watches use Swiss movements. But where are the watches actually assembled? USA? Europe? Elsewhere?

Re: Where Are Hamiltons Made?

Quote Originally Posted by orahu View Post
    I know that Hamilton watches use Swiss movements. But where are the watches actually assembled? USA? Europe? Elsewhere?

Years ago before Swatch purchased the brand, Hamiltons were made in the USA. Now, who knows??? They do not say Swiss Made on the Dial...I would say the quality is on par with Tissot which is another Swatch brand that is Swiss Made.

My guess is that they are assembled in Asia

My Hamilton watches say "swiss made" on the case on the backside of the watch.
    Last edited by goffsroad; January 8th, 2007 at 04:57.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bleddrewsoe View Post
    Years ago before Swatch purchased the brand, Hamiltons were made in the USA. Now, who knows??? They do not say Swiss Made on the Dial...I would say the quality is on par with Tissot which is another Swatch brand that is Swiss Made.

My guess is that they are assembled in Asia
    By the looks of it, some Hamiltons say Swiss Made on the dial; some have it on the case back.

Some Hamiltons were made in Switzerland long before the Swatch purchase, after it bought the Buren factory. It didn't last long, though.

It is not a requirement to have "Swiss Made" written on the dial, or indeed anywhere else, if the watch is made in Switzerland. Breitlings don't have it, for example (but they do say "Manufacture en Suisse" on the case back, which I think says it all :)).

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Breitlings don't have it ["Swiss Made"], for example (but they do say "Manufacture en Suisse" on the case back, which I think says it all :)).
    What would be the difference between "Swiss Made" and "Manufacture en Suisse"??

Modern Hamilton's are made in Switzerland, if so marked. All that I have seen are marked as Swiss made.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post

Modern Hamilton's are made in Switzerland, if so marked. All that I have seen are marked as Swiss made.
    Honestly, the difference is the market/marketing. Hamilton advertises itself, in its promo materials and website, as "The American Brand since 1892." My Navy Frogman goes the "Swiss Made" on the caseback route. Frankly, it wouldn't matter to me where it was made. I love the titanium, the slightly retro-look of the case, and the minimal face. I'm amazed by how often folks ask me about it.

--doug

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Nothing, since they are the same :)

I suppose having it written in French is supposed to add a certain degree of authenticity; all of the writing on a typical Breitling is in French, even the MANFACTURE EN SUISSE on the bracelet, with the exception of the word AUTOMATIC on the dial which should strictly be written AUTOMATIQUE.

JML

Read this over carefully: http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php

Depends on exactly what's written on the watch, and where it's written. It might have Swiss components and other components, and it might be assembled anywhere (like a Swiss movement, with a Chinese case and bracelet, all assembled somewhere else).
    ** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

Thanks for that informative article! I of course checked my Hamiltons, and they do indeed say not only "swiss made" on the movement, but also on the case.

JML

Quote Originally Posted by goffsroad View Post
    Thanks for that informative article! I of course checked my Hamiltons, and they do indeed say not only "swiss made" on the movement, but also on the case.
    But I bet the bracelet on most Hamiltons is made in China. Look on the inside of the clasp.

The sourcing & assembly varies by model, too. I believe some are assembled in China, and some in the Carribean area.

"German" watches have a similar set of rules, too!
    ** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information