Where my WIS and Grail-Seeking journey has taken me....where has it taken you?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Where my WIS and Grail-Seeking journey has taken me....where has it taken you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where my WIS and Grail-Seeking journey has taken me....where has it taken you?

I've been through it all, up and down. I've had 20 watches in rotation, and I've gotten down to 3. I've had Swiss, Japanese, Chinese and all manners in between. I've had Omegas and PAMs and once had mostly G-Shocks in the stable. I've chased the mighty Grail, caught it a few times just to realize as many of us have that the real grail has evaded me once again.

Through it all, I've always had a multi purpose hard-hitter to pinch hit, a Citizen pilot (was an older Skyhawk Ti before I moved up to a black steel RC version)

I'm now in Bangkok, and after the better part of 6 months of "vagabondism" am getting ready to head back to the US to rejoin the rat race. I mention this because this may have played a part in my journey.

I've left a few watches back home in California but still took a few with me traveling. I've always felt quite foolish but never more so has this come into play than when you're living out of two suitcases and having room is of the importance. I've been a collector for well over a decade so no disparaging those that have the means, but the extremes of the hobby and its pitfalls have finally dawned on me. Two wrists and 9 watches? It just doesn't make any sense...

Long story short (and there are no shortage of "rich man's watches" here), I've realized that there are more things in life I should be spending 3-5k or even over 1k for than spending them on watches, unless I've become extremely independently wealthy it just doesn't make any sense. People say you should buy what you enjoy, and to a certain extent I can subscribe to this. But enough is enough.

Short of a Tag and the aforementioned Citizen mainstay and maybe a G gifted to me from my brother, I'm on my way to start downgrading. I walked in the mall today and saw MANY Timexes that looked really really nice! I've been high and low and even realized I've pooh pooed a lot of sub $200 watches before and it seems rather silly now. I've been guilty of going to dinner parties and business meetings having rushed home to switch to my Sinn or Longines because the Casio I had on was "embarrassing". No more.

It's my personal decision that I won't be wearing a life's savings on my wrist any more.....at least not until I've paid for a condo and a couple of cars and I can truly afford it. I have an Omega Moonwatch in my sights, and I will have it, once the coffers are full and the net worth is where it should be.

As for my attitude about meetings and parties now, if I they think less of me for the Timex I may be wearing that night, I don't need to know them. :)

Where has your journey taken you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by watchyourself; May 19th, 2014 at 19:53.

Re: Where my WIS and Grail-Seeking journey has taken me....where has it taken you?

You mean....This terrible affliction can be cured??

The movement is what interests me in a watch, and after my newest incoming arrives, I'll have a hi-beat, spring drive and TC quartz in the stable to keep me company for a long time. 3 different kinds of music to my ears, and a perfect rotation IMO

But never say never.....a nice chrono one day maybe.....and maybe a hand-wind would be nice too.....and a moon phase......
    JPfeuffer likes this.

Re: Where my WIS and Grail-Seeking journey has taken me....where has it taken you?

Lol - I'm sure the hum of a Bentley engine is a heavenly sound to some. I wouldn't know but might, if I ever have over 10 million in the bank. The movement argument is sound though....I just know way too many people sporting Tags and Rolexes caring little for the movement, which in many cases is just mass produced fluff (yes yes I know Rolex is in-house but so is Seiko :P)

Yes, right now a Breitling Montbrilliant would make me feel like a giddy schoolgirl. But right now, a deposit on a future vacation with my girlfriend and seeing her smile is worth so much more. One day I can buy both when I have so much I don't feel the hit either way, lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

3 years ago the first watch I bought - a TAG - was the only watch I ever wanted. Until I got it and wanted more (roughly when I joined wus to ask a question about movement - coincidence? Probably not.) It was also the most expensive - my subsequent pieces have been cheaper. I can now appreciate £200 watches and will probably buy some more in the future. But I also lust after ~5k pieces; not much above that, mind. If I had the money I'd have a fair few of them - zenith captain, jlc moon, gs gmt, probably a sub...One day soon. If I wanted I could save my beer money for them but clearly I don't want them enough yet. And there are some great affordables that I enjoy too - and certainly not proportionally to their fractional cost of the pedigree ones. I told the wife (truthfully), that I love them all equally and for different reasons. Error: she replied "Then in future why don't you just buy cheap ones?!"

Lol! I've exposed many of my girlfriends to my "sickness" and even after buying them watches of their own that they cherished, it's my experience that this hobby will NEVER make sense to them. Now their purses and shoes however....

The journey through life is different for everyone. Congratulations on finding your plane. For me, I have settled in for the long haul. I will buy (and sell, I'm getting better at doing that). and look to end up with a really nice collection some day. But in every case, life comes first. THey are just watches after all.
    watchyourself and DexDegeaut like this.
    Dan

Not entirely sure what I'm collecting anymore....

NS-13

One or two watches of 1k that are fairly versatile are still more than most of us really truly need.

It's really all about formulating the enjoyment of a hobby within the bounds of a budget (more than likely), rationalism (at least sometimes, we hope), and perhaps a marriage (pretty please may I?), to maximize happiness.

It sounds like you're well on your way to realizing a formula that works for you. Well done!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

drickster and mpalmer - Thanks. It helps to be less obsessive about it. I have no regrets. The years of staking out auctions, of amassing tons of hardware, tools and straps that have been changed hundreds of times over...I enjoyed it all and have met tons of great people (and a few bad ones!) Priorities in life have shifted and I feel the countless hours spent heading to the post office, driving hours to see a piece in person, stalking a watch on the internet, etc. could be better used elsewhere. It was a fun ride!

As such, I do still enjoy reading about them and participating in forums. While looking at more affordable watches online - because of their relative low cost, I'm not compelled to spend too much time on their pursuit any longer or have any distress because I missed out on a "rare" piece.
    Last edited by watchyourself; May 19th, 2014 at 19:46.
    drickster likes this.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

It can be cured when I run out of money.
    Domo likes this.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

LMAO - That's what I'm talking about. I was jobless by choice and bumming around Thailand for months and yeah, that may have played a part in my decision. But mentally, I just don't know if I could go back. I could certainly go back I'm sure, if I fed myself the steady diet of temptations that images and hardware specs online and catalogs offer me. I just want to remove the dollar value of the watch from my mind (and requisite brand stigma among friends and associates who have enabled me with their IWC, Panerai, and Bell and Ross diet plans) and see them for what they are (and not consider the movement as much like Domo mentioned because that's a whole new bag to deal with). I still CAN'T make myself do Invicta though, but no shame for anyone that loves them. :P

Someone else's journey may go through a well worn traditional one -- from Casio to Movado to Tag to a nice Rolex when they get that promotion at work. And that's cool, as long as they like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information