who can I complain to when the watch's manufacturer does not respond?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: who can I complain to when the watch's manufacturer does not respond?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

who can I complain to when the watch's manufacturer does not respond?

Hi everybody,

I need some advice.

Last year, I bought an expensive automatic Swiss made watch for my wife (expensive by my books because it cost more than US$8000). It was supposed to be a limited run chronograph. Within months, the date function stopped working, i.e. the hour hand can rotate for 48 hours but the date doesn't change.

I complained to the manufacturer and initially, they offered to replace the entire movement for me. I refused since I felt it will reduce the value of the watch. Subsequently, they replaced it with a similar watch (just different serial number).

Now, less than a year later, the same problem arises. The date doesn't advance. When I wrote in, they offered to take a look to identify the problem. I agreed, subject to the condition that they do not replace any parts without letting me know. however, they did not reply to my emails.

I could bring it back to the dealer who sold the watch to me, but I'm not sure that will solve my problem. Is there a Consumer's assocation in Switzerland that I can write to?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Daniel

Banned

Re: who can I complain to when the watch's manufacturer does not respond?

Daniel, somebody was probably just not very thorough. Sounds like an administrational oversight issue more so than like them ignoring you. Write to them again. Are you writing to the US office or to Switzerland directly? Where are you? Also giving them a call can't be bad. You need to escalate the problem to a higher level within the company before you can complain to someone outside. What brand is it?

If you are still under warranty bringing it to the dealer is the easiest recourse. Getting an exchange movement should not lower the value of the watch. It should rather increase it. If this happens more than once on such an expensive watch, something is not going right. That's why I'd be interested in knowing what exact watch that is. Also, did you or your wife ever try to set the date while the time was between 9pm and 3am? Some mechanicals really don't like that. It will say so in the manual if it's the case for your watch.

Anyway, exchange movement croaking after less than a year, you are covered, no worries. And with a little persistence and the right method (call, escalate, dealer involvement) you will get the problem solved.
    CitizenM likes this.

What kind of watch was it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Send it to them and let them fix it. If they replace the movement, that's good. Why would it reduce the value of the watch? (Unless they were going to replace a Zenith movement with a Ronda quartz!)

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    Send it to them and let them fix it. If they replace the movement, that's good. Why would it reduce the value of the watch? (Unless they were going to replace a Zenith movement with a Ronda quartz!)
    I wouldn't mind if they replaced the movement or the watch. I would send them another email and talk to the dealer who sold you the watch.

If it was only one email, it could have fallen through the cracks. I would follow up with them. I would let them replace whatever parts are required, it wouldn't reduce the value of the watch.

Banned

Which Brand is it?

If I have a problem, I let the AD handle it. Their responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by toledosun View Post
    Hi everybody,

I need some advice.

Last year, I bought an expensive automatic Swiss made watch for my wife (expensive by my books because it cost more than US$8000). It was supposed to be a limited run chronograph. Within months, the date function stopped working, i.e. the hour hand can rotate for 48 hours but the date doesn't change.

I complained to the manufacturer and initially, they offered to replace the entire movement for me. I refused since I felt it will reduce the value of the watch. Subsequently, they replaced it with a similar watch (just different serial number).

Now, less than a year later, the same problem arises. The date doesn't advance. When I wrote in, they offered to take a look to identify the problem. I agreed, subject to the condition that they do not replace any parts without letting me know. however, they did not reply to my emails.

I could bring it back to the dealer who sold the watch to me, but I'm not sure that will solve my problem. Is there a Consumer's assocation in Switzerland that I can write to?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Daniel
    The watch should have come with a warranty. Is it expired? If not why don't you let the dealer sort things out for you. Implicit within the purchase price was after sales service so let them take care of it.

If parts are broken or were poorly manufactured they should be replaced. I do not see how replacement with factory parts could in any way reduce the value of the watch. To be honest I can understand why the factory stopped replying to your emails. It is not possible for them to fix your watch if you exclude parts replacement as you did.

What was that brand again?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    What was that brand again?
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I did not name the brand because since I'm no expert in watches, I didn't want to create a bad impression of the brand, especially when I'm not sure if my position was reasonable. I guess I was under the impression that for a limited run watch, it would lower the value of the watch if they switched parts. I'm glad to hear that it wouldn't.

I've actually sent two emails, and they were copied to several people within the company, including the service department of my AD. There was no response from anybody. The reason why I wrote the the manufacturer directly is because when my first watch spoilt, I sent it back to the AD. It sat in their office for 4 months and was never shipped to Switzerland! That's why I lost faith in them.

Since everybody is of the same opinion, I'll write to them again. Hopefully, I get a reply this time. Thanks once again for all the advice !

Daniel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information