who has taken a watch apart?

Thread: who has taken a watch apart?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

who has taken a watch apart?

who here has taken a watch apart and tried to put it back together? i had a broken watch. took it apart, every screw. put it all back together. got it working. i was very happy with myself. when i tried to adjust the crown, it slid all the way out! bollocks!

any self taught horologists?

Banned

Re: who has taken a watch apart?

I tried to take a cheap Chinese Quartz apart for a case experiment.
    It is a part of a landfill now.

I tinker as well - self taught but I would like to take a class or two. Mostly bringing old beaters back to life. Some of the oddball watches you can find on the bay for a couple bucks but contain typical movements like AS for example. Parts are easy to find and between cheap mainsprings and a cleaning most of them run like a damn!

Heres some pics of my bench and some projects...

Skeleton project, works great with clean, oil and mainspring... kids now toasted the balance staff so off to find more parts...

The last is a complete redo, case, movement and crystal. Clean and Oil.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There's a watch school on "that other" watch site which at least covers the basics of a handwind movement with no complications. Pretty decent for getting an understanding of how to properly disassemble / reassemble and the proper tools. The second course covers maintenance.

I don't excessively tinker with my nicer watches. I'll tweak the regulation if it bugs me enough - got the Speedmaster Moon running about +/- 1 sec / d.

The "keyless works" on most automatic movements is the section that holds the various bits and pieces that allow the stem to follow "detents" as you pull it out (i.e. catch it for various positions like date set, time set, etc...) - that could be the portion you can focus on repairing to get the stem working again.
    Lots of dive watches.

Banned

I took a watch apart once - with a Louisville Slugger. Couldn't put it back together again, just like Humpty Dumpty. Go figure.

There are couple watch repair manuals on my shelf. One of these days when I miraculously learn patience I might give it a whirl using my box of junk as guinea pigs.

Never have, never will. Winding them and setting the time/date are all I'm capable of doing.

I took it apart but can't say that I was able to put it back together

I love tinkering. Taking things apart to see how they work and putting them back together is a joy. You just have to know your limits and what you are comfortable with. That said, the only watches I have completely disassembled were Auto and quartz Rolecks that an uncle liked to pick up cheap on his trips and pass out as inexpensive gifts.
    I feel comfortable pulling movements out of the case and doing cosmetic clean ups to the case. I've regulated a few of my auto's, replaced a coil on a quartz. I leave anything more to an expert. Now if I could only find one who works cheap!

On the same subject you might find this thread interesting,
    How comfortable are you working on a watch?
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

I've taken several movements apart, cleaned, reoiled, reassembled and retimed them. I'm self-taught in the sense that I never went to a class. I did read up a lot before attempting the first repair on a cheap watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information