Who has a watch with the newer Valgranges mov't?

Thread: Who has a watch with the newer Valgranges mov't?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who has a watch with the newer Valgranges mov't?

hello friends I'm looking at a watch with a Valgranges mov't, specifically the A07.111, just wondering what you guys are seeing as far as accuracy, power reserve, etc. and hopefully someone can share some pictures. I found a "review" on a blog stating this mov't has the potential for better reliability as well as accuracy due to the larger size as compared to its smaller sibling ETA mov'ts, just wondering if there is any truth to this or are these "differences" so small in a real life setting that it doesn't mean much? Here some info. I found through some quick googling

edit: a search yielded no results but google did find a WUS thread from 2008, but I'd like some updated opinions..ty

VALGRANGES®
    Born to be great
    We are undoubtedly witnessing the beginning of a major trend for the coming years – the demand for large, even very large watches. These watches are not only designed to display the time, but also to express the personality of the wearer. Today’s women often like to use large watches, while men turn to even bigger timekeepers.
    A 16½ line movement on one’s wrist

To embrace this trend, a new calibre has emerged: the Valgranges, an impressive 16½ line movement.
    From Valjoux to Valgranges

A select origin entails a special obligation for excellence. The Valgranges calibre is indeed of high-ranking birth. Its name shows at a glance that it was conceived along the lines of the famous Valjoux calibre. Designed in 1973 in the Vallée du Joux, this standard diameter (131/4 lines) automatic mechanical movement has become a reference movement in Swiss mechanical watchmaking. It is the timekeeper chosen by an extensive number of brands and its name is recognised as a pledge of quality by both professionals and connoisseurs. Developed in Granges (Grenchen in German), where the manufacture ETA was founded nearly a century and a half ago, the Valgranges has all the qualities of the 7750 movement. And maybe even something more …
    A calibre that embodies the ETA values

Watchmakers are familiar with the exceptional quality of ETA movements. Moreover, the company has the exceptional power to manufacture quality precision products. The Valjoux is prized for its reliability, its robustness, its high precision and also for its power: The mainspring rewinds with extraordinary speed – it just takes a few movements of the wrist to furnish the watch with energy. For the spring to reach its full 46 hours’ power reserve, a few hours of wrist movement will suffice. Of course, all the other advantages of the Valjoux are also included in the Valgranges calibre.
    Like the Valjoux, the Valgranges calibre is available in a series of movements equipped with different features but all of identical dimensions (same diameter, same height), an uncommon advantage for clients.

• Valgranges A07.111 Hour, minute, second and date.
    • Valgranges A07.161 Hour, minute, second, date and power reserve.
    • Valgranges A07.171 Hour, minute, second, date and 24 hour hand with second time mechanism.
    • Valgranges A07.211 Hour, minute, second, date and chronograph.

Lines

Following a centuries-old tradition, watchmakers use lines rather than millimetres to describe the size of the movement’s diameter. This measurement is generally indicated as a triple apostrophe, so 16½ lines is written as 16½´´´, or 37.22 mm diameter.
    The line, or Parisian line, is an ancient watchmaking measurement that predates metrification and is a direct descendant of the French pied (foot) measurement used under the Ancien Régime. Each line is equivalent to 2.2558 mm, which is rounded up to 2.26 mm for ease of calculation. In the past the French foot used to correspond to 12 inches measuring 12 lines each.
    Calibre Valjoux: 13 1/4 lines or 29,89 mm
    Calibre Valgranges: 16 1/2 lines or 37,22 mm
    ETA A07.111

16 ½ ''' Ø 36,60 mmH 7,90 mm

Hours, minutes, seconds / Self winding / Date display in window / Regulator system ETACHRON with finetiming device / 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz. / 24 Jewels
    ETA A07.161

Hours, minutes, seconds / Self winding / Date display in window / Power-reserve display / Regulator system ETACHRON with finetiming device / 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz. / 24 Jewels
    ETA A07.171

Hours, minutes, seconds / Self winding / Date display in window / 24 hour hand with second time mechanism / Regulator system ETACHRON with finetiming device / 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz. / 24 Jewels
    ETA A07.211

Chronograph mechanism with cams / 2 push buttons / Self-winding mechanism with ball bearing / Hours, minutes, small second / Stop second device / Regulator system ETACHRON and regulator corrector / 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz. / Chronograph 60 seconds / 30 minutes and 12 hours counters / Date in window, corrector / 25 Jewels
    Last edited by mngambler; April 16th, 2010 at 03:43.

Re: Who has a watch with the newer Valgranges mov't?

I used to own a Victorinox Ambassador XL Chronograph with the Valgranes chrono movement (based on the 7750).

It was accurate and robust, and finished really well. I did have the "jerky" chrono hand just like my 7750's based watches have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman View Post
    I used to own a Victorinox Ambassador XL Chronograph with the Valgranes chrono movement (based on the 7750).

It was accurate and robust, and finished really well. I did have the "jerky" chrono hand just like my 7750's based watches have.

one of the other watches I was looking into was the Mach 7 which is a non-chrono and as far as I can tell will have the Valgranges in it although through searching I could not confirm it 100%

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mngambler View Post
    one of the other watches I was looking into was the Mach 7 which is a non-chrono and as far as I can tell will have the Valgranges in it although through searching I could not confirm it 100%
    I was also looking at that watch, but haven't seen them arrive at the dealers yet.

Here are some pics of my old Ambassador:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman View Post
    I was also looking at that watch, but haven't seen them arrive at the dealers yet.

Here are some pics of my old Ambassador:
    I love that Ambassador..blued hands are a great touch. A local AD brought a Mach 7 in for me too check out, I'm going to try and get there on Sat. to take a look.

anyone else with some thoughts?

Banned

Way

I have a Meistersinger Unomatik (one hand watch) which is powered by the A07.161. Great 48 hr power reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by mngambler View Post
    anyone else with some thoughts?
    I don't have any yet with the Valgranges movement, but there are a few on my short list. Glycine Airman 17 tops my list. There's also the Glycine Power Reserve models that have the Valgranges movement. I suspect I'll also eventually get a Longines with that movement, either the Weems or the new chronograph.

All else being equal, I would prefer a solid back on my automatic watches. The movements aren't much to look at and the rotor hides half the movement. Most movements are also quite small when sitting in the larger watches that I prefer, so that too looks a bit funny. But that huge Valgrages movement with its large rotor certainly looks good in a larger watch.

I have a watch with the A07.111 movement - well actually it's the base for the Longines L691.2 movement. It kept time consistently at +7 sec/day out of the box, and now after a couple of months it settled in to +3 sec/day and it seems to be staying there, depending on how I lay the watch down at night. Power reserve is supposed to be 46 hours but I've never let it sit that long to see if it would run down.

There's a picture of the movement on the first page of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information