Who owns their own watch tools?

Thread: Who owns their own watch tools?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Who owns their own watch tools?

I'd like some information about the basic tools needed to replace bands, resize bracelets, etc. (not interested in opening the case and digging around inside) I became interested after reading some stories about unknowledgeable jewelers screwing up Monster bracelets, and I imagine you'll save money in the long run by owning your own tools.

What tools does the average WIS need and where does he/she go to get them?

Thanks guys!

Re: Who owns their own watch tools?

For pin and collar bracelets, all you really need is a spring bar tool with a pointy end, like this one (not my picture):

The fork end will help you remove the bracelet/strap from the case, unless you have drilled lugs, in which case you use the pointy end to push the spring bar through said drilled lugs.

Some of the "cheap" spring bar tools don't work that well, as the fork end isn't that sturdy or well shaped. Most people swear by the "Bergeon" brand spring bar, but I don't personally own one.

Other than that, you'll need a simple plier to remove Seiko bracelet links. I have also found a tweezer works well when putting collars back into the bracelet links, since I am starting to lose stability in my hands/fingers for intricate work.

I would get one of those twisty tools that hold the bracelet in place while pushing out the pins. Or just get a pin and hammer set. Way better than those stick tools which are essentially useless for pins (they are supposed to be used for drilled out lugs).

Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you look on the bay you can find basic watchmaker toolsets that come with everything you will need for very cheap. They're chinese cheapo but I've never had a problem with mine and I use them all the time

The Bergeon springbar tool is a must have, IMO.

Depending on the watch, jeweler's screwdrivers are also good to have on hand. 1.6mm is pretty much the standard size for screwed lugs, whereas 1.4mm works great for most screw-locked bracelets. You might also want to consider getting some Cape Cod cloths and a fiberglass pen to help maintain polished and brushed finishes (Bergeon sells the latter in 2mm and 4mm sizes).

Regards,
    Adam

PS - +1 on the springbar tool.
    DW-002BM-8, DW-003R-9T, DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5600GLRZ2, DW-5600GRLZM, DW-5700BE, DW-5700SF2, DW-6900-7BUFF, DW-6900MT-7ER, DW-6900CL-4CR, DW-6900KR-8JR, DW-6900FS, DW-6901UD-3ER, DW-8800AB-9T, DW-9100BJ-2A, G-001BE, GA-110DR-1A, GA-111DR-7A, GA-120BB, GD-X6900AL-2, GD-X6900-7TY2, GD-X6900JC, GD-X6900MNM, GD-X6900MH, GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000TFG-9, GPR-B1000TLC-1JR, GPW-2000, GST-B100D-1A, GST-200RBG, GT-100, GW-5000-1JF, GW-5530C, GW-9400-1ER, GW-9400-3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR, GW-9400KJ, GW-9401KJ, GWG-1000, GWM-5600TH-1, GWN-Q1000, GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF, GXW-56BB-1JF

Quote Originally Posted by corruptor View Post
    Some of the "cheap" spring bar tools don't work that well, as the fork end isn't that sturdy or well shaped.
    True. Cheap springbar tools (like the one pictured in your post) usually have a forked end that is too big to access the springbar ends to allow removal of bracelets. Good quality springbar tools have a very small forked tip.

Good one-stop place to get quality basic watch tools...
    http://www.mywatchmaker.net/watchmakertools.htm

MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

This is a topic that comes up fairly regularly out here. There's a lot of different tools, and a lot of different sources for obtaining them. I have three that take care of all the mechanical maintenance work I'm comfortable with performing on my watches:

- springbar tool (for changing/adjusting bracelets and straps)
    - bracelet link pin tool (for adding/removing links -- note that this won't work for screw-in type pins)
    - caseback removal tool (for changing batteries)

I got the springbar and link pin tools from Acetimer on eBay and the caseback tool elsewhere, and all three work okay for me; there are a number of vendors (both on eBay and with their own online stores) that sell these. Likewise with the screwdrivers, tool sets, and other cleaning items that have been mentioned.

Most of the items you find out there will work okay, but if you're in doubt about something you can always come back here and ask us about it to see if we've used it before and what our experience was with it.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Quote Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post
    Good one-stop place to get quality basic watch tools...
    http://www.mywatchmaker.net/watchmakertools.htm
    werd

That's where I got my springbar tool.

Bergeon Spring Bar 6767-F (the cheap $5 doesn't work for metal bracelets)
    Watch Link Pin Remover (just like the picture above)
    Small Hobby Hammer (actually used for RC vehicles)
    Hemoclips (when small pliers are too akward)

I only resize bracelets & change straps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information