Who's ever had a stainless watch rust?
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Who's ever had a stainless watch rust?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Who's ever had a stainless watch rust?

I ask this because a buddy of mine told me that his stainless watch has rust spots on it. I told him that it is either a cheap fake with crap steel or something strange happened. I have been in heavy salt spray areas (Florida, Hawaii, Caribbean, etc) and have worn stainless watches for extended periods with not even a hint of rust. He said it was surface rust and he was able to remove it with a rough pad for washing dishes or something. He's basically going diving and snorkeling in places that I have been in as well, nothing unusual and all I can think of is maybe something caustic got in touch with the watch or maybe it is the rough finish on the steel that is having issues.

So have any of you actually heard of rusting of stainless finish?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Who's ever had a stainless watch rust?

Fossil, check the Fashion Watches Forum.
    rfortson and *El Ocho 1* like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Without knowing anything about the particular grade of stainless steel (some are more resistant to corrosion than others), it is possible for it to pick up surface rust. It is stain-less steel not stain-free...

Does your friend (" "?) rinse his watch after diving and/or snorkeling?
    incontrol likes this.
    "A gentleman's choice of timepiece says as much about him as does his Savile Row suit." -- Ian Fleming

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quotron View Post
    Without knowing anything about the particular grade of stainless steel (some are more resistant to corrosion than others), it is possible for it to pick up surface rust. It is stain-less steel not stain-free...

Does your friend (" "?) rinse his watch after diving and/or snorkeling?
    yeah he is very careful and the brand is not a cheap brand, being around $2k new. Not saying brand just because I don't want a pile on fest against the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    yeah he is very careful and the brand is not a cheap brand, being around $2k new. Not saying brand just because I don't want a pile on fest against the brand.
    Well, just because the brand is not cheap does not mean they are not using a lower grade stainless steel with a lower resistance to corrosion. That's just my WAG...
    "A gentleman's choice of timepiece says as much about him as does his Savile Row suit." -- Ian Fleming

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quotron View Post
    Well, just because the brand is not cheap does not mean they are not using a lower grade stainless steel with a lower resistance to corrosion. That's just my WAG...
    true, but you expect a level of quality at certain price points. I have been in all the same conditions with my seiko srp diver which is a $300 watch with no issues. The case and bracelet on this watch are finished in a very rough utilitarian look. this rough look may be the cause, just a guess.

I have picked up a few Ramon (thewatchcollector) specials out of the P.I. as well as some used (really used) Stateside pieces that had developed rust and the associated pitting, normally between the lugs and/or in the case back threads.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Never seen it myself, but at the Sinn forum, there's a Sinn U1 tegimented bracelet that's apparently got some bad rust after a brief soak at the beach. We're still figuring out whether it's rust caused by some extremely rare manufacturing defect.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

"Homage" stainless steel.
    Stellite, Quotron, Domo and 3 others like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Never seen it myself, but at the Sinn forum, there's a Sinn U1 tegimented bracelet that's apparently got some bad rust after a brief soak at the beach. We're still figuring out whether it's rust caused by some extremely rare manufacturing defect.
    interesting, I will take a look. I wonder if they are the same finish, rough tactical finish look. almost bead blasted.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information