Why buy a GMT?
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Why buy a GMT?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Why buy a GMT?

I've often wondered this. I've traveled a fair amount and never found it helpful to have a GMT watch. Whenever I am on travel, I always know the time difference between local and home. So if I need my home time while I'm on travel, I just do the mental math - elementary school level math. And if you stay in one place for a little while, you get pretty quick at it. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't see paying for an additional complication when its easy enough to do in my head. Yet it is a popular complication.

So that got me wondering, and I have two questions about buying a GMT.

1) Are many GMT watches purchased because buyers like the look of the GMT complication? (like those threads about chronographs)

2) Is the GMT function really helpful? If you travel to numerous timezones in a short period of time, I can understand how it could be helpful.

Thoughts?
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Re: Why buy a GMT?

Where do you travel? If only a few time zones away, yes, the mental math is easy. When you start talking 10-12 hrs, it gets a little more confusing as to day/night and which day it is.
    Gary123 and Grahamsjz like this.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't see paying for an additional complication when its easy enough to do in my head. Yet it is a popular complication.
    Why pay for a moon phase complication if you're not a werewolf or a druid?

Why get a 500m dive rating when you'll never be deeper than the swimming pool in your back yard?

Why get a magnetically-shielded watch when you don't work at a super-collider?

Why get a watch at all when the time is on every digital device including your phone?

The answer: because it's fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just like the complication Gary. I have traveled more in the past and honestly a gmt was never necessary, but it is nice to have.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Actually, I set mine to the local time zone when I'm not traveling and when I have to set my watch it makes it easier to tell if I have to pass 12 to get the date correct...this has saved me literally seconds of my life, but it was a great thrill the first time I experienced it.

Ps I just like the look of the complication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Gary123 likes this.
    Dan

Not entirely sure what I'm collecting anymore....

NS-13

I have a couple GMT's and I travel. Never had an issue with setting the local time when there. I don't set the correct date when I swap watches so I'm a bit lazy there....just the time as accurately as possible. So, why a GMT?

Name:  ebel3.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  689.0 KB
    Last edited by wschofield3; June 24th, 2013 at 05:53.
    ljb187 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    Why pay for a moon phase complication if you're not a werewolf or a druid?
    Hey man, I need it for cultural reasons :p

I don't own a GMT watch but I suppose it'd help as I have to talk to contacts in different time zones. Of course I'll probably be on a computer and it'd be easier to use the computer clock instead.
    Nomos Club datum | Seiko SNZH57 Fifty Five Fathoms | Vintage Nivada Grenchen | Zenith El Primero Prime | Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Taille

I'm not discounting anyone who has a GMT but my iPhone automatically switches to the correct timezone when I travel. Watches = man jewelry and if you like the GMT hand, rock it!

I have one GMT. My Montblanc. Truth be told, it came on the watch and wasn't a complication I was seeking. And I've yet to need it as I don't really travel. But, I kind of agree with you. When I have traveled, its typically one, maybe 2 time zones from home, so it's simple math to know my home time.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

I like the execution of it on the JLC Master Hometime.
    I like how worldtimer watches look.

I know I don't need one and if I do need home time, it'd usually be for phone call purposes and I tend to have my home mobile on home time anyway.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information