Why did you choose a watch with a high-end ETA movement over In-house? - Page 11
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Why did you choose a watch with a high-end ETA movement over In-house?

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Re: Why did you choose a watch with a high-end ETA movement over In-house?

Probably because it came with a watch I liked.

A watch's movement is only one criterion I use in selecting a watch. Brand, design, and utility are just as important to me.
    Watchbreath, Michael Day and mleok like this.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post
    Yeah, I never understood that...

Heck, I'd pay an additional premium for reliability!
    You can get that from a quartz movement. Obviously that's not the point of most luxury watches. There's an intangibility that cannot be defined when it comes to mechanical movements that goes well beyond its utility. Or even reliability.

Again, like an exotic car. Look at a Lamborghini. It is hardly a reliable automobile. Especially when compared to a Toyota Camry. Yet, it's highly desirable. Why? It is more than just the aesthetic. The beauty is much more than skin (or sheet metal) deep.

High-end watches are pretty much the same way.
    You're either qualified or not qualified

As a practical matter, I prefer to avoid in-house movements from small manufacturers in lower priced watches, since I am concerned about the long term availability of service parts, and about being locked into factory service for an otherwise affordable watch.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MissileExpert View Post
    Not that they would, but suppose Omega sold their movements to a new watch manufacturer who charged a few thousand dollars for their watches. Because it wouldn't be an in-house movement, would that make their watches less desirable?
    Omega movements are really very, very similar to ETA movements:

https://gearpatrol.com/2012/01/05/ti...0-chronograph/

I think the analogy to car engines is really good; would you favour a car with an in-house engine or one with a mass produced engine from a different supplier? If it's a Ferrari then in-house, because Ferrari are all about the engine. Anyone else though and I'd personally go for the 'it's modified a little to make it fit for purpose, but its based on a toyota/ford/jaguar engine'. I had a Lotus Esprit once that had an in-house engine (a meere 2.2 litres, 4 cylinder, turbocharged and tuned to within an inch of its life). I actually loved the engine as it was so blisteringly light and powerful, had no red line just a rev-limiter when it was about to blow up and perfectly matched the car. Only problem was when it blew itself to pieces and left me stuck in a foreign country on a sunday morning with no hope at all of any sort of repair that didn't involve a transporter back to the UK.

The ETA 7750 features a lot on this thread and in high-end chronographs. To me it has the key things that make it a top 5 in the world movement; integrated construction so inherently simple and reliable (only needs 25 jewels instead of the 30 to 50 you see in some movements), incredibly accurate if tuned properly, incredibly robust, 40 years of production during which eta have fettled out all the long-term things that only crop up after long term use, an almost unbreakable self-winding system, can be serviced or repaired by a wide range of independents, high manufacturing tolerences and materials so you know each movement is going to be good.

I might be biased of course as I do use a 7750 base to make the 775M2 in my watches:

Name:  20180515_112415[11695].jpg
Views: 106
Size:  609.3 KB
    Sir-Guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baka1969 View Post
    You can get that from a quartz movement. Obviously that's not the point of most luxury watches. There's an intangibility that cannot be defined when it comes to mechanical movements that goes well beyond its utility. Or even reliability.

Again, like an exotic car. Look at a Lamborghini. It is hardly a reliable automobile. Especially when compared to a Toyota Camry. Yet, it's highly desirable. Why? It is more than just the aesthetic. The beauty is much more than skin (or sheet metal) deep.

High-end watches are pretty much the same way.
    I would love to have a Lambo that was as reliable as a mechanical watch (high end or otherwise). More importantly, even if a watch died, it's not a big deal; I just wouldn't know the time.

Otoh, I would hate to be stranded on the roadside.

Quote Originally Posted by Lornegifford View Post
    I had a Lotus Esprit once that had an in-house engine (a meere 2.2 litres, 4 cylinder, turbocharged and tuned to within an inch of its life). I actually loved the engine as it was so blisteringly light and powerful, had no red line just a rev-limiter when it was about to blow up and perfectly matched the car. Only problem was when it blew itself to pieces and left me stuck in a foreign country on a sunday morning with no hope at all of any sort of repair that didn't involve a transporter back to the UK.
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

For me at least, the in-house movement signifies the watch is made by a watch making company, not just an artistic design company (this is WAY over simplifying how complex designing the rest of a watch is, I'm sure). If a company makes it's own movement, then they probably also make many other parts of the watch. But if they outsource the movement, then what else do they outsource? At what point is the watch just assembled by the brand? If I'm paying thousands, I want as much of the watch as possible made by the brand, not just assembled to a spec sheet. I realize this is mostly just a fantasy about how watches are made, but it can happen (Grand Seiko, Damasko, etc). This is especially true when the movement and the case are not sized properly. I want the whole watch to work together, each part directing the design of the other parts, rather than a catalogue movement being stuck inside just "to make it work".

But the "Watches as jewelry" argument does favor allowing the watch maker to free up a lot of processing power by getting a catalogue movement so they don't need to reinvent the wheel with regards to the movement. ETA (and others) just work, you can make them as pretty as you want if they are going to be displayed and they seem to be somewhat customizable to accommodate unique dial/case designs. So someone with an artistic vision can make that happen without also having to deal with the movement because the watch is an artistic expression, not an engineering one.
    cuthbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
    Would you buy a Maserati because you heard that it's got a Ferrari F136 engine?
    Would you buy a VW Touareg because it has a Porsche engine?
    I probably would. It's called a sleeper and people shoehorn powerful engines into unassuming cars all the the time. Paul Newman was once involved in wedging a supercharged 400HP engine into a Volvo station wagon. I think he even sold one to David Letterman

Parts and service.

In an Americano analogy, I would compare it to wanting a small block Chevrolet ( ETA ) engine in your boat or car rather than a homemade ( in-house ) engine.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post
    More importantly, even if a watch died, it's not a big deal; I just wouldn't know the time.
    Before GPS, not knowing the time got plenty of sailors and their passengers very, very lost. It was the only way to accurately determine longitude. On land, maybe not so critical!

Quote Originally Posted by MissileExpert View Post
    Before GPS, not knowing the time got plenty of sailors and their passengers very, very lost. It was the only way to accurately determine longitude. On land, maybe not so critical!
    Can be very critical on land if you're in the middle of a featureless desert with a broken sat-nav, the nearest Starbucks 20 miles one way, and some rather unpleasant chaps 20 miles the other way!!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread Information