Why do I keep falling for watches I'll probably rarely wear?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do I keep falling for watches I'll probably rarely wear?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why do I keep falling for watches I'll probably rarely wear?

I have an early Omega PO that I really like, but it's not appropriate for every occasion - there are times I think it's too showy - so I've been looking for something more subtle. I thought an AT would be perfect, tried it on - meh. Grand Seiko, same. I mean, intellectually, I can really appreciate these watches and want to like them, but they don't do anything for me on my wrist. What was my favorite from that shopping trip? A Breitling! Kind of the opposite of "not showy", and this isn't going to work any better than the PO in terms of subtlety.

I went on another shopping trip to a different AD. Looked at many Hamiltons, Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil and Rado. The winner was the 45mm Rado Captain Cook. Again, not subtle at all. I'm a big guy with big wrists so the watch isn't objectively "too big" (nor was the Breitling), but I can't imagine too many scenarios where I'd feel the Rado/Breitling is appropriate while the Omega is not. Against those two, I think the Omega would win the subtlety contest.

I guess I just don't like subtle watches... at least not in the store. However, once bought, there are many times I'm sort of embarrassed to wear them as I don't want to draw attention that way. I know most people don't notice watches, but that doesn't help with my fancy watch phobia. Maybe this is a good problem since it keeps me from buying watches...

Anyone else experience this? Attracted to watches that you'd prefer not to wear in public?
    MikeCrunch, Synequano and notional like this.

Re: Why do I keep falling for watches I'll probably rarely wear?

Not quite since I have no qualms about wearing a watch that may be a little loud but I certainly own more watches than is sensible.
    notional and dino8791 like this.

I'm like that. I appreciate how the watch looks or functions (or both) and buy it. But then I can't seem to wear it out.
    notional likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

After 30 years of wearing all manner and style of watches, I truly believe few others care. It seems the most compliments I ever got from strangers was for the Hamilton Pan Europ chronograph I wore on a shiny mesh bracelet. I didn't think that was very showy. I've worn some showy "Johnny Vegas" looking dress watches, no one cared. I say, if you want to rock a Leopard or Rainbow Daytona, or something far less ostentatious like a PO or Breitling Bentley, have at it. No one will notice but you. And it shouldn't matter anyway, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SDor View Post
    I have an early Omega PO that I really like, but it's not appropriate for every occasion - there are times I think it's too showy - so I've been looking for something more subtle. I thought an AT would be perfect, tried it on - meh. Grand Seiko, same. I mean, intellectually, I can really appreciate these watches and want to like them, but they don't do anything for me on my wrist. What was my favorite from that shopping trip? A Breitling! Kind of the opposite of "not showy", and this isn't going to work any better than the PO in terms of subtlety.

I went on another shopping trip to a different AD. Looked at many Hamiltons, Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil and Rado. The winner was the 45mm Rado Captain Cook. Again, not subtle at all. I'm a big guy with big wrists so the watch isn't objectively "too big" (nor was the Breitling), but I can't imagine too many scenarios where I'd feel the Rado/Breitling is appropriate while the Omega is not. Against those two, I think the Omega would win the subtlety contest.

I guess I just don't like subtle watches... at least not in the store. However, once bought, there are many times I'm sort of embarrassed to wear them as I don't want to draw attention that way. I know most people don't notice watches, but that doesn't help with my fancy watch phobia. Maybe this is a good problem since it keeps me from buying watches...

Anyone else experience this? Attracted to watches that you'd prefer not to wear in public?
    How about a wrist shot of the Captain Cook. Gorgeous watch!
    MikeCrunch likes this.

So you're saying your preferred watches are like mopeds and .......?

Just own it! That or buy an inexpensive Timex Marlin to wear when you need to dress up.

Quote Originally Posted by SDor View Post
    Yes. I like and bought SRPA83 (Seiko Prospex PADI Monster Tuna, as some call it?), and I've only worn it once in public, because I think it's huge on my small wrist (even though my partner tells me it looks okay), and it gets caught on my sleeve and is uncomfortable that way. Maybe in the summer time I will wear it more with T-shirt and shorts.

For sure, I like and bought another watch that I've not worn in public other than e.g. when I took out the trash. In total I have ~3 watches that I think are too showy to wear in public. I like to wear something small and generic in public.

For me, bland/plain look sometimes takes some getting used to. After that, I could appreciate some subtle details that look good on-wrist. It's a bit of acquired taste in a way.

I have the same problem. I once bought an Oris Miles Tonneau. I loved the guilloche and exploding numbers. I put it on one Saturday and I had to take it off. It was just too shiny. Never wore it again. Sold it. Never looked back.
    The other thing for me is how comfortable the bracelet feels on my wrist. I'm a bracelet guy, mostly. I had a beautiful Seiko SARY057 with a black dial. The watch fit well, but the watch head was considerably heavier than the rest of the bracelet. Though I liked looking at it, it just was never comfortable. Same with a Ball Engineer II Red Label. Beautiful watch. It just never felt "right" on my wrist.

Name:  Seiko SARY057.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  98.4 KBName:  Ball_2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  137.5 KB
    Casio G-Shock AWGM100-1ACR, Glycine F-104, Hamilton Khaki Aviation, 1950's Jules Jurgensen 14k Manual Wind, 1940's Longines 14k Fancy Lug Manual Wind, Orient Kamasu, Orient 1970's Automatic "TV Dial," Oris Williams F1 Team, RADO D-Star, Sea Gull Tonneau GMT, Seiko 5 SNKE51, Seiko Recraft SNKP25, Seiko 5 SNZH57, Simplify 2200 Series "The Penguin," 1978 Timex Automatic Chrome, Tissot Luxury Powermatic 80 COSC, Vostok Amphibia 420 Bronze Mod.

I have some pretty outrageous watches and no, I've never felt weird about wearing them

Name:  IMG_7823.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  1.81 MB

I've been complimented on my Rado a few times but not any other watch I've worn.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information