Why do people like the Speedmaster so much?
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Why do people like the Speedmaster so much?

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Why do people like the Speedmaster so much?

I don't hate the watch or anything, but I don't know why it's so well loved. As I understand it, it's a fairly ordinary movement, lacking automatic winding even, and it doesn't look that special either. My Omega collecting friend here at the university who has probably 30+ Omegas doesn't get it either. Hell, I'd say I'm sort of a fan of Omega, but I still don't understand it that well. I know it has a compelling history, but a lot of watches do.

Anyway, so why's the Speedy so special to you? Or do you think it's overrated (which doesn't mean it's bad)?

Name:  IMG03130-20101206-1417.jpg
Views: 6027
Size:  86.3 KB
    Last edited by CitizenM; November 28th, 2011 at 09:43.

Re: Why do people like the Speedmaster so much?

it's a classic watch design that has a lot of history behind it. To me, the speedmaster is one of the purest, most iconic watches out there, and is the quintissential chronograph to have.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

the speedmaster is a poignant reminder that Man can do so much, flying to the moon, exploring infinity and beyond. It is a watch that is truly iconic in more ways than one.

Winding it everyday, well I choose to look at it as a chance to "connect" with the watch, yes it requires some effort to get it going, but in return it gives you so much more, a wonderful wrist presence, a great story to tell people over parties and then some.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't mind handwinding or anything, but can't I get a discount for it? I mean, you can hand crank cars too, but if your car maker sold you one that was hand crank only, wouldn't you feel sore for paying as much as the other car that had an electric starter?

i think it's not so much the fact that it lacks a auto wind, but simply because in space you wouldnt require the winding rotor, the entire movement was designed around that principle, you're not paying for a movement that lacks a rotor, but a movement that is designed to be used in the most extreme of environments
    CitizenM likes this.

Although I'm a big Omega fan, I'm not particularly fond of the Speedmaster. A lot of that has to do with the tach feature which is a bit useless, IMO. I guess if you're into horse racing or something it might make sense. I just don't have any desire to manually calc out speed over a pre measured distance. Just about any situation I could find myself in would already be well equipped with highly accurate speed/distance gauges. It's just not my cup of tea, but to each their own.
    CitizenM and Godan like this.
    “This is a Roche Vouceau. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to THREE atmospheres. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad. This is ‘THE’ sports watch of the ’80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail.”

~Louis Winthorpe III

Well I don't know about overrated, but Omegas do seem overpriced. Those prices are only going up as Omega tries to "upscale" the brand.

Why so popular? I bet on the answer that's always right and it has served me very well: "follow the money." Rolex Daytona grey market is $12k plus, MSRP is higher, and the blinger crowd can't pony up. Omega Speedmaster, that's a nut they can crack at $4k or so.

I think some people get all weak kneed about the moon thingy. Plus it's a good looking watch. And some people like winding their watch every day. And polishing scratches off acrylic. And obviously prefer using their phone to check the date

Quote Originally Posted by ed1990 View Post
    i think it's not so much the fact that it lacks a auto wind, but simply because in space you wouldnt require the winding rotor, the entire movement was designed around that principle, you're not paying for a movement that lacks a rotor, but a movement that is designed to be used in the most extreme of environments
    I would think that it would make it less functional on the moon though, right? There's no power reserve and you can't handwind with gloves on. I don't think that'd be a big problem, but it seems like it's less well suited for space environments than an automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    I would think that it would make it less functional on the moon though, right? There's no power reserve and you can't handwind with gloves on. I don't think that'd be a big problem, but it seems like it's less well suited for space environments than an automatic.
    Or quartz.

But then again, neither quartz not automatic chronographs even existed when the space program was established. So the Speedmaster was the best thing available. And as the watch proved itself, it's still used. If it ain't broke, etc etc. Omega won't ever change it, because as long as it's made, there's no need for NASA to consider using anything else. So you get a 1960s motor sports chronograph - tachymetre, plastic crystal and handwound.

What it does have in spades is a really legible dial. The only more legible analogue chronograph I can think of is the Sinn EZM1, and that only times hour long events.
    CitizenM and ken_sturrock like this.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information