why do people today still think that Swis made watch is the best?

Thread: why do people today still think that Swis made watch is the best?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EAD

Question why do people today still think that Swis made watch is the best?

Just thought about it while talking with friends about watches
    People usually (even someone that know more then one or two things in watches) that "The world best watch are Swis made".
    When you show them a watch like Sinn or UTS or whatever they usually saying the first thing (after asking for the price), "Is it a Swis made?" and when you answerd them no, they refer the watch as a "second best" just because it isn't Swis made

What do you think about it?

stuffler,mike

Re: why do people today still think that Swis made watch is the best?

Sinn and UTS do use no other movements than swiss.....In former times Sinn watches had "swiss made" on their dials. Maybe people think swiss movements are the best because they just are the best ?

My thought is that its all about brand recognition and with watches 'Swiss' is the namebrand people recognize.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Overall, over the long term, what's been better?

EAD

Quote Originally Posted by jph712 View Post
    My thought is that its all about brand recognition and with watches 'Swiss' is the namebrand people recognize.
    Yep that what I meant !
    I do think there are many nice good watches that not onlt Swis, but still people neglect them, and I think even most of the WUS are still having "emotinal" feeling for Swis, even though they know it isn't the only best there is

Quote Originally Posted by EAD View Post
    Yep that what I meant !
    I do think there are many nice good watches that not onlt Swis, but still people neglect them, and I think even most of the WUS are still having "emotinal" feeling for Swis, even though they know it isn't the only best there is
    it's not so much that they are the best because they are from switzerland - but that many of the best watch manufacturers are swiss companies. there are probably inferior swiss watches as well, and it would be a careless collector who based his sole reasoning on country of origin.

there needs to be a best because that is what we, as humans, seem to need to feel whole and complete - if not to possess, then to dream about or lust for or strive towards.

short of anything else, swissmade seem to serve as a benchmark against which all others are measured. benchmarks seem to be necessary parts of human society as well - as long as we are consumed by qualitative measures.

this is no different than any other consumer manufactured good. italian sports cars. do the japanese make nice cars? sure. are they as good as italian ones? subjective but probably no. will they be measured against the famous italian sports cars? sure. italian sportcars have the heritage that the japanese cars don't have. they have the reputation. the idiosyncracies. and most important, they have the fanboys and their fan base and enthusiasts and obsessive-compulsive passionate afficionados who will always insist that nothing is finer than an italian sportscar.

same with watches.

just buy what you like.

if you're concerned with what others think of your purchase, then buy what others would want you to have or what they themselves would want to own.

lots of choices either way.

Would you care to name the countries that make complete watches (as opposed to buying a movement/ebauche)?

Switzerland and Japan are the only two that come readily to mind.

The Japanese have largely left the mid to high end market to others. Okay so there is the Grand Seiko range, but they are sold mostly at home, and in small numbers. The Spring Drive is newish, and I would place the kinetics and other quartz as low or low-mid.

So that leaves Switzerland.

Now as for Germany, well they mostly (always?) buy in movements and/or ebauches.

But I think the point is that if you go to most jewellers (based on UK experience) you see mid to high end Brietling (Swiss), Tag Heuer (Swiss), Omega (Swiss), Rolex (Swiss), Longines (Swiss), and low to mid end Seiko, Citizen etc. The fact that the Japanese and Germans (and others) can produce high quality watches is not seen by the average person.

Because for centuries I'm sure that they were one of the best.

Interestingly, I heard that it started with Reformation leader John Calvin. He didn't allow the manufacturing of jewelry in Switzerland, with the exception of watches. They were a practical type of jewelry.

I do based on the watches I own and thats a LOT in all price ranges !! And Mfg ... :gold

Germany too, although not mass produced just high-end brands, and China, of course. I think India too.

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information