why do some watches with SAME swiss movements require service at different intervals?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: why do some watches with SAME swiss movements require service at different intervals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

why do some watches with SAME swiss movements require service at different intervals?

i have seen watches with same swiss movements last years without service irregardless of brand name , while others more frequently ..What are the main factors regarding service ?..

Re: why do some watches with SAME swiss movements require service at different intervals?

Quote Originally Posted by eddieo396 View Post
    i have seen watches with same swiss movements last years without service irregardless of brand name , while others more frequently ..What are the main factors regarding service ?..
    Well it's possible they are modified to a different standard, but more likely it's all arbitrary. I have 20 yo watches that have never been serviced and they are accurate enough that I'm not worried about it. But I guess if I wanted it within original specs maybe I'd have to service it. Again, those specs are just arbitrary and marketing.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    eddieo396 likes this.

Re: why do some watches with SAME swiss movements require service at different intervals?

depends on the watches I’d say—as noted above different brands will modify the same movement differently.
    eddieo396 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also can depend how often they are worn, how hard they are used and the climate they are kept in. People living in Hot humid places , temperate places or dry arid cold places will find that mechanical things will degrade differently.
    eddieo396 likes this.
    Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Instagram: @tophstewart

References
    All liinked in one thread
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/my...rs-903425.html

It's all a matter of how much the watch company is willing to warrant them. Figure the larger companies can afford to tell you the service interval can be longer.

UNLESS, the larger company has an inhouse service department that needs to generate revenue. It's all business...

It may come down to the type of lubricants used and the grade of movement. Also, some watch brands replace specific components with their own and this can change things as well. Another potential cause is how established they are as a brand and if they can back up products on a large scale.

Just my guesses.

PJR

A cynical person might suggest the shorter the interval the more likely the company is to generate more revenue servicing the watch.

One potential reason for a shorter interval might be water resistance in a diver. If your watch is in the water regularly more frequent servicing to check gaskets and water resistance would make sense.

Are you asking why different manufacturers using the same movement have different recommended intervals, or why one watch may start running poorly and need service after 5 years while another using the same make/model of movement lasts 10 years?

If the latter, use patterns play a large. A watch that is worn every day and never stops running will wear down more quickly and need service before one that is worn occasionally and allowed to stop between uses. Environmental conditions like temperature and, to a lesser degree with water resistant watches, humidity may also play a role.
    eddieo396 likes this.