why do we even bother getting mechanical watches?
Like Tree405Likes

Thread: why do we even bother getting mechanical watches?

Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

why do we even bother getting mechanical watches?

Mechanical watches are less reliable, more delicate and need to be serviced regularly. Quartz watches are more accurate and require less servicing.

So...

Why do we bother buying mechanical watches? Just curious to konw :)

Inactive

Re: why do we even bother getting mechanical watches?

They're much cooler.

Well, if you have to ask, stick with quartz.

By the way, I have and like quartz and have auto and hand wind watches.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They are marvels of engineering. They are tiny works of art, beating away several times per second as they keep (reasonably) accurate time; this is accomplished purely using incredibly minute pieces of metal that are working with each other in just the proper way.

Mechanical watches are durable within reason, not less reliable at all, really aren't that less delicate and don't actually need to be serviced more regularly than around 5-7 or 10 years.

Some have never been serviced and run 50 years. With a quartz, you need to get battery changes within around the same time frame as a mechanical needs a service anyway. The reason I buy them is because I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into making them, the fact that it is a component made of individual parts that actually require skill to assemble and regulate, the smooth sweeping seconds hand always lines up with the markers unlike quartz, mechanicals have real history and heritage, they're different from what the masses wear and unlike quartz there's many different variations of mechanical movements with different functions to pick and choose from. I find quartz boring personally. Sold all my quartz to fund nice mechanicals way back when I joined the forum.

Damn fine, logical question. I myself find them more romantic (in the old school definition of the term), more in line with my tastes. I love the idea of the skill and craft that goes into this older technology. I agree with Mike above...it is just cooler! Though that is just me....and Mr. Dowling :)
    Clouseau and Avro Arrow like this.

If your asking that question then they are not for you. Why so people still like listening to vinyl or driving old cars..

We don't know better.

My son is replying on my behalf, because I can't get my fountain pen to write on this newfangled computing machine. So I'll just sit back and enjoy my sarsaparilla.

There really is no practical reason. We even then take it a step further arguing why an inhouse movement is better then ETA-type despite being even less practical or efficient. I guess a pragmatic person should get a Citizen Eco-Drive as it blows away most movements out there for performance and maintenance.
    Niceday3, CMTFR and Avro Arrow like this.

Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information