Why do you have so many watches?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Why do you have so many watches?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Why do you have so many watches?

Ever get this question? Does it annoy you? It does me, mildly. But, because the asker usually has no idea what collecting is all about for some people. (if they are collectors themselves, it REALLY ticks me off - the question implies their collection is superior to mine, and mine is a waste of time and money) The question is usually followed by the comment "you can only wear one at a time". Not true - although wearing 50 watches on one's person at once would look a tad ridiculous.

So, here is my answer, and I'd be interested in hearing yours as well.

Why do I have so many? Because they are time machines - in more ways than one.

First, I am amazed by the intricate workings of a microscopic machine that fits on my wrist. The more complicated, the better. I am a machinist, and truly appreciate the precision and patience it takes to make something so small work at all, to say nothing of work WELL.

I tend to buy these tiny machines if they also are cool to look at. Not just sheer beauty, but interesting designs are intriguing to me as well as just a classy face and case. I like watches that say something about my sense of style and aesthetics, even if (or maybe BECAUSE, sometimes) those preferences fly in the face of popular styles.

But, more importantly, I keep them because they are more time machine in the science-fiction kind of way. Anyone can tire of looking at the same things over and over. But, I don't sell them because they are bookmarks.

I cannot remember what I had for dinner two nights ago, but these watches (and for some reason, watches in particular) can bring me back 28 years ago, like it was last night. I can still smell the scent of the tree on Christmas morning at 10 years old, when I got my first watch. I can remember the feeling of pride and awe when Dad gave me one of his watches. I can remember how long I drooled in a Brand Names catalog before I decided on the watch I first bought for myself. I can remember every flea market, yard sale, and clearance rack where I bought every one, and I remeber the price. I can tell you where every nick and scratch on my watches came from.

I think, if not for these watches in a shoebox, I wouldn't remember much of anything once those memories faded. But, ironically enough - a watch for me is a dual purpose possession - and both purposes are time related.

So, as i get older - my collection gets bigger - and I'm not likely to sell any of them, lest I forget the time.
    Last edited by twall; June 30th, 2011 at 14:55.

Re: Why do you have so many watches?

For the same reason I have a few hundreds of ties and cuff links and a (large) closet full of sport coats, suits, shoes, and miscellaneous clothing items that would put a haberdashery to shame.

Watches are jewelry (the only real jewelry that men can really wear), and I think that they are an integral part of a man's style (and consequently, his wardrobe). A watch for every occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
    ......Watches are jewelry (the only real jewelry that men can really wear)......
    I have seen this said elsewhere on the 'net. But, what about rings? And chain necklaces? Or bracelets?

Thanks for your reply, BTW. Not knocking you - just wondering why these other jewelry items are overlooked. I wear quite regularly a necklace, and I've been known to wear rings (I saw a really nice onyx ring i am tempted to get).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

my simple answer: Because I can! I like them.

I've found watch collecting (or even just spending a good chunk of change on one watch) is viewed a lot like another passion I've had: Horsepower.....that 'you can only wear one at a time' phrase sounds alot like the "why do you want a fast car, you can only go so fast on the street" thing i would get all the time.

Simple fact is, with both watches & fast cars: Some people get it, some don't
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

I've found that many people collect a wide range of things including demitasse cups, cameras, art, stamps, knives, watches, clothing, ice cream scoops, jewelery, etc. You may want to tactfully put the question back to the individual by saying simply watches give me a lot of pleasure because Istudy their history, enjoy wearing them, know how to repair them, etc. It's all but inevitable that person collects something, so you might ask about their collection of beer cans or coke bottles or what ever that person enjoys.
    paulie485 likes this.

v76

Hello everyone! My moniker is v76 and I am an unabashed watchaholic ...
    twall and Popoki Nui like this.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John MS
    I've found that many people collect a wide range of things including demitasse cups, cameras, art, stamps, knives, watches, clothing, ice cream scoops, jewelery, etc. You may want to tactfully put the question back to the individual by saying simply watches give me a lot of pleasure because Istudy their history, enjoy wearing them, know how to repair them, etc. It's all but inevitable that person collects something, so you might ask about their collection of beer cans or coke bottles or what ever that person enjoys.
    Would you consider collecting watches as the same as collecting something else. Just something to feed the obsession, or is there something more special about collecting watches. Not just a kooky obsession like someone collecting bottle caps or keys?

I do get the question, and no, it doesn't bother me. It gives me a chance to tell people why I love watches and possibly spark an interest in that person. Also, I don't consider myself a collector.
    devilmoon likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Patasu View Post
    Would you consider collecting watches as the same as collecting something else. Just something to feed the obsession, or is there something more special about collecting watches. Not just a kooky obsession like someone collecting bottle caps or keys?
    I would [consider it the same]. Usually, when you scratch the surface, a collector is trying (in many cases) to reconnect with some past in their lives. Coke bottles or bottlecaps might be an obsession with the first time they saw one, and were taken aback by it, or it represents a time in their life they feel happier than the present. Maybe (in my buddy's case) dad collected bottlecaps, so if I can impress him......

No collection is "kooky", IMHO.
    Last edited by twall; June 30th, 2011 at 16:59.
    Samwatch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    I have seen this said elsewhere on the 'net. But, what about rings? And chain necklaces? Or bracelets?

Thanks for your reply, BTW. Not knocking you - just wondering why these other jewelry items are overlooked. I wear quite regularly a necklace, and I've been known to wear rings (I saw a really nice onyx ring i am tempted to get).
    I used to wear a necklace, but as I got older, anything touching my neck bothered me greatly. I had one of those fashionable Livestrong-type bracelets for a music program (I'm really into music) and I wore something in precious metal when I was younger, but not anymore. I'm not married, so I don't wear a ring.

I think that beyond a watch, jewelry on a man is considered unnecessary and extra. Not anything against what you choose to wear or don't, just my observation on what society deems to be the norm. I don't wear jewelry because I prefer not to, and simply that; I'm not concerned much about what others think. A little, of course, but the idea that jewelry isn't the norm doesn't factor into why I don't wear jewelry. I don't know how I'll handle the marriage thing should that come to pass, because I really hate rings; I can't stand things between my digits. I don't wear those flip flop things that kids love so much these days because they go between the toes.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information