20 30.77%
  • mostly for the looks

45 69.23%
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Why do you wear a chronograph?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Why do you wear a chronograph?

For those that wear them, is it

mostly to use it, or mostly for the looks.

I am a heavy chronograph user, but I have seen numerous comments in posts that "we all" wear chronographs just for the looks. Really?
    Last edited by Gary123; February 2nd, 2012 at 20:01.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Re: When you wear a chronograph, do you .....

I use the chronograph on my Speedmaster quite often to time things throughout the day. It's very useful for everyday activities like cooking. I like the way it looks too, but it's great to have that little tool with you when you need it. It's like putting a swiss army knife on your keychain. It may stay closed 99% of the time, but it sure is handy to have when you need it.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR

Quote Originally Posted by drewmcd24 View Post
    I use the chronograph on my Speedmaster quite often to time things throughout the day. It's very useful for everyday activities like cooking. I like the way it looks too, but it's great to have that little tool with you when you need it. It's like putting a swiss army knife on your keychain. It may stay closed 99% of the time, but it sure is handy to have when you need it.
    That is about as well stated as I have ever heard!
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the look, no other reason.
    . . . Bob

Be honest. Mostly for the looks. The same reason most people wear dive watches.
    Pitty likes this.
    Rick

Incoming: Heuer Autavia 'Siffert'

All usage.
    I bought mine to time my debate speeches.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rick View Post
    Stole the words right from my keyboard. I wear chrono's all the time, and do use them, but every time I put one on? No.

I couldn't tell you how many straps I've made for dive watches: people investing into bespoke straps to match their exact style on watches built to go 100x deeper than humans could ever go, that now won't ever see a splash because of fine leather and hides. Is this a mistake? No - it's a statment about personal taste and style; it's right on the mark. Brands don't make 500+ metre watches because they think people are diving in them. Don't kid yourself.

If watches were about practicality and proper use only, this site wouldn't exist. At least not in the capacity it does now.
    Mr Rick and Pitty like this.

I am honest. I use my chronographs multiple times throughout the day. It is a tool for me. Perhaps I am in the minority. I time my espresso shots every morning to keep my grinder adjusted for a perfect shot. I run and swim and time myself in those. I forgot that I also use it in the kitchen. A couple times a week I'm timing a parking meter. A couple times a week I time the running of water and chemicals into my Koi pond. And I prefer a dive chrono because of the added water protection and the added timing device of bezel.

Its kind of like carrying small pocket knife. I did that a while ago an a regular basis and was surprised how often that little thing came in handy. No problem without it, but it was nice having it. I stopped carrying it because it was one more thing to carry.
    Last edited by Gary123; February 2nd, 2012 at 20:24.

Banned

There it is. There are plenty of better ways to time something than having to squint at a watch. Chronographs are cool to some so they buy them then go and find use for the feature so the watch purchase was justified in their mind. You can set a timer for cooking or an alarm from you cell phone.

Re: Why do you wear a chronograph?

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    There it is. There are plenty of better ways to time something than having to squint at a watch. Chronographs are cool to some so they buy them then go and find use for the feature so the watch purchase was justified in their mind. You can set a timer for cooking or an alarm from you cell phone.
    Not the best options when one is swimming, running, timing a parking meter... And its tough to beat the convenience when its already on your wrist.
    Last edited by Gary123; February 2nd, 2012 at 20:44.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information