Why doesn't RGM get more attention here?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why doesn't RGM get more attention here?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Why doesn't RGM get more attention here?

Hello all again,

In my quest to learn more about watches and look at all of the various collections from the different brands I find myself really attracted to RGM watches. I love two in particular..

Classic 250 E - My personal favorite

RGM 151 E.B.D.

Does the brand not have enough cache or it is over priced or is because it isn't Swiss? I would think RGM would get a bit more love around here. Just curious...

Tom

Re: Why doesn't RGM get more attention here?

Not sure exactly. They do make a gorgeous product, and have an in-house movement, IIRC.

IMO, one issue is the cost:cache factor. For $3-$4K, there are lots of more recognizable brands available.

If they had broader name recognition, I think they'd be more popular.

I was just checking out their chronos. Some of them are quite beautiful.

It got me thinking about how many pieces I'd need to move to buy one...

Yeah, I thought it might be the price point for most of their collection. If the 250 E was $1,500 I would be all over it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I want to like the brand and could even imagine saving up for one, but nothing they really make -- except the super high-end stuff -- does it for me. It just seems like the designs are missing a bit of panache. Maybe he should hire a designer to work on the designs and focus on the technology and movements.

I also think he should come up with a killer sub $2k sport/dive watch, maybe with some type of heavily massaged ETA or Selitta movement and some unique features or look that would capture some buzz and get the recognition factor going. But hey -- what do I know? I'm just a watch kibitzer.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Sodiac, interesting that you think their designs are missing something. It is their designs that attract me to them. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder! :)

In general, it seems divers tend to get the most discussion, and RGM only makes one of them. RGM's price point also limits accessibility too.
    Lots of dive watches.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I am under the impression that RGM get a lot of attention in the WIS' world.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

RGM designs are too classical for my taste thought they appear to be very well made. The guilloche dials looks amazing they should offer guilloche dials options in their sport watches. The brand name and logo RGM are not doing the brand any favours. I had been to a few watch stores on the east coast and the west coast, have not seen any RGM in stores so I am guessing they do not have enough representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    In general, it seems divers tend to get the most discussion, and RGM only makes one of them. RGM's price point also limits accessibility too.
    +1. Their diver looks pretty good but for the same price point I'd get a Ball Deep Quest or a UTS. The RGM diver needs something to set it apart beside the build quality.

One of my first major watch purchases was the Northpointer. That was 2 years ago. At 38.5mm it is a smaller sport watch by modern standards. I've fallen out of love with it and then back in love with it at least twice since purchasing. I think the lack of attention is due to the combination of high price point and perhaps a lack of awareness. Also, I think RGM has been slow to move toward bigger watches. But it looks like they will be releasing some new models in the near future, with new calibres and larger cases. Maybe this will win them more love. To me there is something inherently appealing about an American watch maker creating their own original designs and movements while maintaining a sense of tradition. I'd really like to see an American made automatic movement from them.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information