Why doesn't Tudor put better movements in their divers (for their asking prices)
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Why doesn't Tudor put better movements in their divers (for their asking prices)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Why doesn't Tudor put better movements in their divers (for their asking prices)

Hi guys,

This post isn't meant to be a diss or anything, I like Tudor's designs a lot, and apparently their fit/finish is great, but one problem I have with the Black Bay and Pelagos is that they ask around $4,000 for them, and yet they house basic ETA 2824 movements...

Don't get me wrong, the 2824 is a great movement... But for $4,000 it seems foolish, I mean you can find the
    Same movement in $350 watches, and $4,000 can buy a used 8500 movement PO, a used Rolex Sub etc. so what's the deal? Are the movements heavily modified or what? Why did they choose to make such nice, multi thousand dollar watches, and put entry level movements in them?

Once again, not meant to insult anyone, but does anyone know what their reasoning was, and why the watches are Priced so high considering their movements?

A commenter on a YouTube review said something like "The Pelagos looks great but for $4,100, I want some of my money going towards the movement"

Also if this topic has been discussed
    Before please lock this thread, Im on my phone because my computer is being serviced by apple, and I'm having trouble using the search function in the mobile site.
    Last edited by Mr. Panerai; February 20th, 2013 at 10:10.

Re: Why doesn't Tudor put better movements in their divers (for their asking prices)

The movements come in a lot of different grades, I believe that Tudor uses the top grade and modifies it.

It is a lot like car dealers, Holden in Australia sells a V8 Station Wagon for $40,000, then uses an up-spec model of this engine in it's HSV model which costs 2 and half times that much.

Buzz
    Reformed WIS - Fitness/Smart Watch Lover

Garmin Fenix 3 - Waiting for the HR...

Re: Why doesn't Tudor put better movements in their divers (for their asking prices)

Does anyone else find it ironic that Mr. Panerai is asking why a company would put an ETA movement into a watch and sell it for thousands of dollars?
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Because if they put in a Rolex movement, it would be a Rolex.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that Mr. Panerai is asking why a company would put an ETA movement into a watch and sell it for thousands of dollars?
    He's the guy who wishes Seiko would create a more prestigious brand so that if he bought that MarineMaster, people wouldn't think it was just a cheap Seiko.
    Not much surprises me.
    Dr Pepper, Citizen V, eple and 3 others like this.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

As others have alluded to - this is rich coming form a Panerai enthousiast! Made me chuckle : )
    Champ, 90% of the watch industry is based on the same things - there aren't really that many true manufacturers out there any more. Price never had anything to do with it.
    Last edited by BusyTimmy; February 21st, 2013 at 00:16.

Hi well apart from the flaming you're receiving, I suggest you have a look at my now very long thread(thankyou gentlemen) regarding the use of ETA and the profit realised by watch companies that do so.

I have the oysterdate prince, it is very nice but still seems to lose 5 mins a day or so. Damnit.

I believe one oysterprince model had a Rolex movement anyway!!! cant remember the reason........

So, have a look at my thread.

Cheerio

I think more than 90 % of the people who buy a watch are not aware of the movement it has inside, be it in house, ETA, or anything in between.
    WIS are a very, very small part of the population, and even some of us are not really into movements and their differences.
    In my particular case, I bought the Black Bay because I really liked the model when I saw it in the web, and even more when I tried it on.
    Do I care about the movement inside? Not really, because I´m happy with it, and I think the price is OK for the very nice watch that I got...
    camb66, WnS, Ottovonn and 4 others like this.

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by buzz819 View Post
    The movements come in a lot of different grades, I believe that Tudor uses the top grade and modifies it.

It is a lot like car dealers, Holden in Australia sells a V8 Station Wagon for $40,000, then uses an up-spec model of this engine in it's HSV model which costs 2 and half times that much.

Buzz
    Hmmm. You can power up an engine, but time runs at the same speed so you can't power up a watch movement. Once adequate reliability, beats per second, and crown feel have been established there is not much you can upgrade to provide a tangible difference.

Remember, you can feel acceleration of a highly tuned engine but you can't feel the high-end-ness of a watch movement, esp. if there's a caseback.
    Last edited by WnS; February 20th, 2013 at 13:01.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by buzz819 View Post

Buzz
    And only bogans buy the HSV version. In fact, only bogans buy Commodores full stop.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information