Why ETA is preffered over la-joux perret Soprod Eterna etc
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why ETA is preffered over la-joux perret Soprod Eterna etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why ETA is preffered over la-joux perret Soprod Eterna etc

I have been studying a lot into the watch businesses lately out of interest. One thing that has caught my attention is this.

Citizen owns Miyota and La Joux Perret. Also Frederique Constant was rumoured to be building its own Movement. Why do we still see them using ETA movements in Bulova, Frederique Constant and Alpina brands?

Festina Group owns Soprod but I think there are some watches that use movements/ complications from other movement maker. ( I might be wrong on this particular company).

A lot of Eterna Watches also use ETA movements even after Eterna has invested a lot in their own inhouse movements.

Why is this?
    1975 Montres Omax S.A. Crystal AS2066
    2012 Casio G-Shock GD-100MS3
    2013 HMT Kanchan Supreme Miyota 8215
    2013 Orient Star Motorcycle raven 46S50
    2016 Hamilton Pan Europ Chrono val7750
    2018 DWISS RS1 (incoming) 2824 Elabore

Re: Why ETA is preffered over la-joux perret Soprod Eterna etc

Price points. The lower the movement cost the higher the profit. Eta's most likely cost less than any in house movement. If FC which has their own movements,(for several years now) used them in all of their watches, they would have to raise the prices on their entry level models. Also develop a quartz movement for all their quartz watches.

Well that's my guess.

Good point and looking forward to reading the responses to this thread.

Christopher Ward, to their credit, also has an inhouse but most of the models they sell are still Eta/SW based. I'm guessing cost is a big factor.

Introducing the Christopher Ward SH21: A Game Changer - Worn & Wound
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sav

I would think it would mostly be down to cost and exclusivity. As pointed out, a run of the mill ETA which is turned out in huge numbers can be had quite cheaply.
    Then there is also the fact that buyers will generally pay more for an in house movement and expect it in higher end models.
    Lastly, a lot of it would be attributed to the fact that ETA has been around a long time and a is fairly well known name even with non WIS types.

Ubiquity

The more common it is, the cheaper it generally becomes.
    The more common it is, the more well known it becomes in terms of familiarity (rather than a relatively unknown movement the buyer has no prior experience with).
    The more common it is, the more watchmakers there are that are happy to work on it and have plenty of experience.

Watch brands use it because buyers want it for all these reasons - even if they don't say so.
    kit7 likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

The statement should hold true for high end movements but what about the mainstream movements?

1. Isnt the Soprod A10 a common movement too? I suppose the A10 is famous enough to have economies of scale. It should be easy to repair as much as an ETA.
    2. Eterna has made its own movements but they can only succeed as a major movement maker if they start using their own movements. I do not see how using ETA is helpful since that only means nobody will use movements other than ETA. (which is actually the case right now).

Cachet probably. A lot of brands that produce in-house movements only put them in their upper range models and continue to fit ETAs and the like in the rest of the range to both keep prices down and differentiate between their lower and upper range models.

Banned

My Christopher Ward has an ETA movement, and whilst I appreciate all movements can be adjusted, I have two other watches with far more accurate movements, but you won't like what I am going to say. The first is a Seagull movement coming in at +6 seconds a day, and the second is a Mingzhu at just 2+ seconds a day. Both of which are Chinese. I have several watches with Miyota movements which aren't bad, and one watch with a Seiko NH35A movement which is also respectable. My hardest watch to regulate is an Orient with an inhouse movement, as the best I can do is 30 seconds a day, and it took me ages to that close.

I think it comes down to pricing and product placement. Citizen uses Miyota movements in Bulova, stopped using ETA and Sellita in Bulova when they ended the Accu Swiss line, which was competing with their Frederick Constant brand. FC uses their in-house movements in most of their high end watches and ETA in their lower cost mechanical and quartz offerings.

With La Joux Perrat which is in many high end watches including Arnold and Son, Citizen uses them in the high end Campanola line.

Seems to make sense that the movement fits the price point of the brand and it's offerings.

Isnt' Soprod already making ETA clones? And it is tough to fathom how prices can be so different between an ETA movement and its clone. Economies of scale do not matter much after a certain number.

Also we have seen Tags running TMI movements. How tough is it to transfer a base Miyota design to La Joux Perret and make a cheap Swiss watch in Switzerland?? Miyota Movements are sturdy, reliable and can match or better the economies of scale of ETA, can they not?
    Last edited by devarshi84; November 25th, 2017 at 07:56.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information