Why the fascination with big and heavy?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why the fascination with big and heavy?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Why the fascination with big and heavy?

I've been thinking about this for awhile, as I too went through a stage where I wanted big watches. I got over it though. Just find them too bulky and uncomfortable. The Stowa Seatime is even beginning to push my limits now.

So, I'm just curious. If you like the beasts, why? What are your thoughts on watch size?

BTW, I'm not a little person. I'm 6' and close to 200 lbs with 7-7.5 in wrists.

I'm hoping this makes for a good discussion
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Re: Why the fascination with big and heavy?

Hi Bruce,

Most of my watches are large divers, I think because for me I liked the style more than anything and you got "more metal for your money" so to speak.

Plus in my early years I was always pretty rough on my watches and did alot of water sports. And even though I've got only 7inch wrists, my hands are large so a small sized watch I've been told looks odd on me.

Recently though I got a Stowa Antea KS and and was surprised how well it fit me. I think the dial size and lug design make a lot of difference. Plus I'm no longer so active so I think I'm appreciating other styles of watches now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gordon,
    The Antea sure is pretty! I'm glad you wrote what you did. You're the first person I recall saying, "you get more metal for your money" This is actually something I've thought we unconsciously think about. I bet it's true for a lot of people.

I purposefully didn't mention watch diameters and thicknesses, because so much depends on the case design, like you said. What I see a lot here are guys with small wrists wearing these beasts and I have to wonder why they like it. Of course it's totally up to the guy wearing it, but I'm just curious why.

Obviously I like dive watches too, and they're by nature larger than some, so it's not like I'm wearing little watches .... well, except for my Explorer

OK gotta go out for awhile. I'm looking forward to the replies.
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Bruce,

I think looks are an important part of a watch, but not so important to overlook every other aspect of a watch.
    Most discussions here are about looks, not about the inside of the watch.
    A lot of people happily buy 5 watches or more with an ETA 2824 inside (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a bad thing), but for me it must be the whole package, nice looks, every watch I own a different movement inside, and nice watches come in all sizes, not only big.
    But to each his own, as they say.
    The bottom line is that a mid-sized watch like a Sub or even smaller, a Date-Just, never gets out of fashion.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Hello,

I never was into really big watches... my biggest watch ever was a Tissot Seastar 1000 which I sold after three days because of it's size.

For me big watches dont wear comfortable and sometimes they even look burlesque... see here. I enjoy the airiness of my wrist wearing a small and light watch.

Today my biggest watch is the Omega Speedmaster Professional but I am most happy with 40mm (Rolex Sub is my daily wearer) or smaller watches (IWC Mark XV, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangente).

Kind regards Philipp

Although there is a personal limit (see the above post), I just like big and bold as opposed to small and whimpy. And there is the other factor - vision. A bit of a generalization perhaps, but generally a larger watch will have "ease of reading the time" (visual clarity) over a smaller brother.

I don't limit myself to one size over another just for the sake of size though. But I do like a nice size watch. And for the most part, I find that women really do like larger watches on men. Maybe that's a subliminal meassage? Freud might like to weigh in here.

MMM, small and whimpy?:-S

Women like bigger watches on a man??:-S

Very important arguments indeed for buying a wristwatch!

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Nice thread. I've wear both classic sized (Sinn 144 and 103, both about 40mm) and larger, clunky watches (Glycine chrono, incursor at about 43- 44mm). I enjoy both styles.

Depends on my mood and dressing style. In general, my classics are more serious, versatile watches for all occasions, while my clunky watches are fun-oriented, fashion watches, to answer your question.

Lets see, the character of my watches:

Classics:
    formal, dressy: shiny, polished sinn 103
    subduled, quiet, understated: matt-finished 144

Clunky and Funky:
    Fun-loving and slightly wacky: orange glycine.
    Casual, smart: brown incursor.

That said, I do enjoy ironys as well. old jeans + comfy T-shirt with dressy 103, a smart shirt and pants with a cool 44mm Incursor, or a flamboyant style with a quiet and subduled 144.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddel Virks
    MMM, small and whimpy?:-S

Women like bigger watches on a man??:-S

Very important arguments indeed for buying a wristwatch!

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Indeed Daddel. Indeed.

You are right about one thing. The diameter of the watch doesn't matter because each watch wears differently and the lug to lug diameter can vary on watches of the same case size and wear differently.

As for me, the largest I have is my Eberhard Traversetolo at 43mm, but wears great because of the case and it isn't overly thick because of the Unitas movement.

When I see beasts that are 47mm or more, I think man, there is no way I could pull that off.

I recently tried on an IWC Spitfire Mark XV and really liked its classic size. I also tried on the Portuguese Chrno and it wore much larger than the 40.9mm case size because of the thin bezel. It looked bigger.

I think 43mm is the limit for me but depending on how it looks and feels.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information