Why Generation Y Doesn't Care About Watches?

Thread: Why Generation Y Doesn't Care About Watches?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Why Generation Y Doesn't Care About Watches?

I'm here like you all because we realize that a watch is critical to any mans wardrobe. We also appreciate the history in a fine watch and will pass down our watch to our children. Some of us are connaisseurs and some of us are newbies that have a hunger to learn (me) but we all know one thing ...

Many smart people that I know, are still wearing a watch they bought at Walmart!

I'm a young professional, and It's very strange to me. I know lawyers, doctors, lazy trust fund kids, mortgage brokers, gay guys, straight guys and all types of people that are either telling time by using their Iphone or are wearing a Kenneth Cole watch that they think gives them status.

How can we convince Gen Y, on a mass level, that wearing a correct watch is a necessity. Or isn't it?

In other words, why should someone wear an expensive watch? (I realize that not all high quality watches are expensive) but generally, they are.

I'd love to hear what you all think!

Re: Why Generation Y Doesn't Care About Watches?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyrahimi View Post
    I'm here like you all because we realize that a watch is critical to any mans wardrobe. We also appreciate the history in a fine watch and will pass down our watch to our children. Some of us are connaisseurs and some of us are newbies that have a hunger to learn (me) but we all know one thing ...

Many smart people that I know, are still wearing a watch they bought at Walmart!

I'm a young professional, and It's very strange to me. I know lawyers, doctors, lazy trust fund kids, mortgage brokers, gay guys, straight guys and all types of people that are either telling time by using their Iphone or are wearing a Kenneth Cole watch that they think gives them status.

How can we convince Gen Y, on a mass level, that wearing a correct watch is a necessity. Or isn't it?

In other words, why should someone wear an expensive watch? (I realize that not all high quality watches are expensive) but generally, they are.

I'd love to hear what you all think!
    I don't think at this point in time in the U.S., given the state of the economy you could. I don't know anyone who even wears a moderately priced ($150-$200) watch, let alone some of the more expensive brands/models. Like you have said there are just a number of people who will wear nothing more than a wally mart special, or a fashion watch with a fancy name.

Generation Y born in a mass produced era, unless you grow up in a family that appreciate the finer things in life, it's pretty hard to steer them into buying an expensive item. Why bother with $5k watch when $50 watch do the same thing. They also seem to lack the patience to appreciate it, that $5k watch will potentially last them for the rest of their life.
    Bell & Ross Instrument - with lots of straps
    Hamilton
    Tag Heuer
    Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
    Breitling Avenger Skyland

My leather works blog: http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 99Reza View Post
    Generation Y born in a mass produced era, unless you grow up in a family that appreciate the finer things in life, it's pretty hard to steer them into buying an expensive item. Why bother with $5k watch when $50 watch do the same thing. They also seem to lack the patience to appreciate it, that $5k watch will potentially last them for the rest of their life.
    Absolutely, had a discussion with my gen-y bro once where his follow on question was: "Why buy one $5k watch that can potentially last my lifetime, when I know I can already have & enjoy at least 50-100 watches for that cost over my lifetime?"

Then again I don't want to convince too many gen-y or else this hobby may get more expensive and probably beyond my means.

It's in the genes, either your into watches or not.

I dont know what all the generation X, Y , Z stuff is . I know baby boomers were what born 1946-1960? Someone once told me I was a Gen X ( born 1974) I dont know what that meant apparently the idea is Gen X people are lazy and not motivated by money and have no sense of dedication or whatever .. I am exactly the oposite of that . I bought an omega because at 33 I wanted a fine timepiece I could be proud of .. WalMart sucks and I try to never shop there .

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    It's in the genes, either your into watches or not.
    Yeah.... What he said. Finding myself agreeing w/Watchbreath more and more oh well

Suspended

$5K watches get stolen.
    $50 watches don't.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the $250 - $500 market.

$5K watches don't get stolen if you don't flash them :)
    Bell & Ross Instrument - with lots of straps
    Hamilton
    Tag Heuer
    Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
    Breitling Avenger Skyland

My leather works blog: http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

What's the point of a $5K watch if you're not going to flash it?

As far as I can remember Kenneth Cole has lifetime warranties on their watches - that strikes me as a particularly smart purchase. If it's not KC, there is one of those brands that does lifetime warranties, and would be the only one in that category I'd be caught dead wearing.

Something I don't understand is the interest in mechanical watches that are more expensive and less accurate than their quartz counterparts. I fully understand the interest in a fine, high quality time piece, but when you can get a watch for $5 that's accurate to 15 seconds per month, a watch that's accurate to 15 seconds per day doesn't strike me as fine quality. Maybe that's part of the lack of interest in expensive watches, most of them are pieces of expensive jewellry rather than technological masterpieces.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information