Why no options?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why no options?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Why no options?

There is one thing with buying watches I hate, and have been thinking about:

When buying a watch, we can only buy what is serially produced by the manufacturer. No colour changes on dial, no option of markers or numerals, no option of what strap material or bracelet type I prefer ( Breitling except)

Many of my watches cost like a cheap car, but it is "buy it or leave it".
    When buying a multi thousand object, usually I have plenty of options to choose from.
    Cars - engine type, colour outside, colour inside,
    Furniture: Fabric - style and colour. Different leathers in different colours.

But we are happy to walk into an AD, and let the manufacturer decide what is the best for us?

In the case of ETA powered watches ( and maybe the rest of them too) we should even have an option with the movements, which ETA grade, or if we want to spend money on afine tuned movement.

In days past, you walked into a watchmakers shop, selected the movement you wanted, then the case, and added the chatelaines, chain, etc. to make the PW you wanted.
    you want a basic movement in a 18K Red Gold case? Sure!
    or the finest RR grade movement in a plain metal case? Why not?
    What do you people think?

I do not think this would add much $ to the cost. Most watches are hand assembled after all. Yes, it would add waiting time.
    Last edited by Janne; October 6th, 2012 at 17:45.
    jesse1 and GETS like this.

Re: Why no options?

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    There is one thing with buying watches I hate, and have been thinking about:

When buying a watch, we can only buy what is serially produced by the manufacturer. No colour changes on dial, no option of markers or numerals, no option of what strap material or bracelet type I prefer ( Breitling except)

Many of my watches cost like a cheap car, but it is "buy it or leave it".
    When buying a multi thousand object, usually I have plenty of options to choose from.
    Cars - engine type, colour outside, colour inside,
    Furniture: Fabric - style and colour. Different leathers in different colours.

But we are happy to walk into an AD, and let the manufacturer choose for us?

Is this not strange?
    You are still limited by the designs the manufacturer has decided to make on any of the items you mentioned.

Post doubled up
    Last edited by mat_; October 6th, 2012 at 17:45.
    Baume & Mercier Classima Executives 8875
    Omega Seamaster Chronograph Diver
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer quartz
    Seiko 5 Military
    Seiko 5 circa 1970s
    Baume & Mercier vintage
    Edox Supra vintage circa 1960s

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Firstly Breitling isn't the only manufacturer that gives you a choice of straps/bracelets, although yes not all watches and manufacturers allow this choice. I see what you're saying but really if you don't like a particular watch for whatever reason, gees there's plenty of others to choose from. Personally im not an artistic person, I couldn't easily select options for a bespoke watch, but I do know when I like what I see. I think timepieces are crafted to suit a particular brand, their tastes, design features etc. Allowing.g people to customise their watches would not only be very expensive and time consuming, but possibly take away the signatures of a manufacturers styling, and it wouldn't necessarily represent that brand anymore.
    Baume & Mercier Classima Executives 8875
    Omega Seamaster Chronograph Diver
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer quartz
    Seiko 5 Military
    Seiko 5 circa 1970s
    Baume & Mercier vintage
    Edox Supra vintage circa 1960s

Banned

Rolex have a choice of dials.

All it takes is time & money: RGM Watch Company

Inactive

Stowa (for one example) have options ... so would a few other genuine watchmakers .. Roland Kemmner offers options too

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    You are still limited by the designs the manufacturer has decided to make on any of the items you mentioned.
    Yes, but it would be in their interest to give you a good, comprehensive choice

Quote Originally Posted by mat_ View Post
    Firstly Breitling isn't the only manufacturer that gives you a choice of straps/bracelets, although yes not all watches and manufacturers allow this choice. I see what you're saying but really if you don't like a particular watch for whatever reason, gees there's plenty of others to choose from. Personally im not an artistic person, I couldn't easily select options for a bespoke watch, but I do know when I like what I see. I think timepieces are crafted to suit a particular brand, their tastes, design features etc. Allowing.g people to customise their watches would not only be very expensive and time consuming, but possibly take away the signatures of a manufacturers styling, and it wouldn't necessarily represent that brand anymore.
    It sounds like you have been well trained by the manufacturers.
    Exactly the same can be said about car manufacturers, to a lesser degree with furniture. That giving options to customize would affect the intended design.
    But - it does not. Most high End car manufacturers even have means to special order the interior or paintwork.
    Are you crazy enough to want a bright pink Mercedes? They will do it for you.

One carmanufacturer ( Ford) had the same approach as most watch manufacturers. No options. Maximize profit. But in his case, the cost of the product went down. Watches go up considerably each year.
    I have never had the option to even choose a strap.

Several fashion brands produce watches in different colour etc. But no "serious" brand gives you much options.
    Some years ago JLC supplied most watches with Ostrich straps ( unusual and said to be exclusive ) and today farmed Croc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ken_sturrock View Post
    All it takes is time & money: RGM Watch Company
    Time yes. Money? Not if you have a comprehensive list of options. Maybe 10 different dial colours in each marker/ Roman numeral configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Time yes. Money? Not if you have a comprehensive list of options. Maybe 10 different dial colours in each marker/ Roman numeral configuration.
    I know what you're saying Janne. Some options might cost more than others though. In the RGM example, they roll you out a custom watch, for a price. That's not really what you meant though.

I was just looking at those new Seiko solar GPS Astrons but there is something about each available version that prevents me from spending that much money on one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information