Why is this preowned VC/JLC that affordable?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why is this preowned VC/JLC that affordable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why is this preowned VC/JLC that affordable?

I was trying to get a preowned quality time piece for my wife that she can wear everyday,
    and then I found this vintage vc + jlc

Jaeger-LeCoultre Vacheron Constantin Galaxy Mystery Dial 14k... for $.2,790 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

14k white gold + diamond + interesting dial, and <3000 USD
    Why is it that "affordable"? Is it legit or not?

any help would be appreciated and sorry for my poor english.....

Re: Why is this preowned VC/JLC that affordable?

Diamonds on the dial tend to decrease secondhand value, as very few serious collector prefer them.

It's a 33 mm watch, which is a good size for a dress watch, but actual formal dress — not the same thing as simply wearing a suit — isn't common.

14K white gold is no big deal.

No mention of the service history, which means it's a ticking financial bomb that's likely to go off sooner rather than later. Richemont is not exactly known for reasonable service policies, either.

It's not particularly good-looking as a man's watch, and the secondhand market for women's watches is brutal.

If anything, I'd say that the asking price is a bit optimistic. There are heaps of smaller-diameter dress watches in precious metal out there from top makers if you look around. That would be a nice watch for the wife, but be prepared for a massive bill if you want it serviced by the factory.
    Last edited by hydrocarbon; July 29th, 2014 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post
    Diamonds on the dial tend to decrease secondhand value, as very few serious collector prefer them.

It's a 33 mm watch, which is a good size for a dress watch, but actual formal dress — not the same thing as simply wearing a suit — isn't common.

14K white gold is no big deal.

No mention of the service history, which means it's a ticking financial bomb that's likely to go off sooner rather than later. Richemont is not exactly known for reasonable service policies, either.

It's not particularly good-looking as a man's watch, and the secondhand market for women's watches is brutal.

If anything, I'd say that the asking price is a bit optimistic. There are heaps of smaller-diameter dress watches in precious metal out there from top makers if you look around. That would be a nice watch for the wife, but be prepared for a massive bill if you want it serviced by the factory.
    Thanks for the explanation :)
    Actually this watch is a bit too fancy for daily wearing... I just wonder why this particular model is that cheap (price for a preown lady jlc reverso might cost a double)

So, say, for the price range around 2k - 3k, do you have any recommendation for a lady watch?
    (prefer diameter between 32-36, quartz is ok but prefer mechanic, preown is ok, not prefer diving style, precious metal/steel are both fine)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My pleasure.

It's certainly not the most exotic choice, but all things considered, I don't think it's possible to beat Rolex's ladies' models if you want something with a mechanical movement. For the top quality of the movement and the overall watch, I'd go so far as to say that they're a bargain, as the secondhand market for women's watches is so weak compared to men's models. There's a huge variety out there, and service isn't nearly as terrifying of a proposition as it can be with an uncommon vintage model, especially from JLC or VC.

Somewhat better prices can be obtained from private sales, such as those found on watchrecon.com. Even at the dealer prices on chrono24, they're still a pretty good buy.

I'd suggest to stick with an all-steel model, as gold is softer and wears dramatically quicker. Women's watches are notorious for neglect, but there are so many out there that you shouldn't have any trouble sourcing a good example. In general, I don't have much respect for gold as a watch material, at least for something that gets worn daily. It's just not durable enough.

By the way, I see plenty of women's Reverso models out there between $2-3K, though in steel. Cartier also produces good women's watches, but they share the disadvantage of having to deal with Richemont at service time.

Anyway, for something intended for versatile daily wear, I would only consider Rolex models if you don't want to stress.

Quote Originally Posted by hippoking1981 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation :)
    Actually this watch is a bit too fancy for daily wearing... I just wonder why this particular model is that cheap (price for a preown lady jlc reverso might cost a double)

So, say, for the price range around 2k - 3k, do you have any recommendation for a lady watch?
    (prefer diameter between 32-36, quartz is ok but prefer mechanic, preown is ok, not prefer diving style, precious metal/steel are both fine)

Inactive

On chrono24 there were more of these particular watches, mostly at slightly higher prices.

Its only 33.5mm, which for any kind of watch makes it difficult to shift, and its not a timeless look either

With that small crack on hour rotating disk, the watch is ruined. Since the price. Maybe some watchmaker will buy it for parts for around $500
    rfortson likes this.

I thought JLC and VC were two different watch manufacturers...
    Is this not like buying a Ford Cadillac ?
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post
    My pleasure.

It's certainly not the most exotic choice, but all things considered, I don't think it's possible to beat Rolex's ladies' models if you want something with a mechanical movement. For the top quality of the movement and the overall watch, I'd go so far as to say that they're a bargain, as the secondhand market for women's watches is so weak compared to men's models. There's a huge variety out there, and service isn't nearly as terrifying of a proposition as it can be with an uncommon vintage model, especially from JLC or VC.

Somewhat better prices can be obtained from private sales, such as those found on watchrecon.com. Even at the dealer prices on chrono24, they're still a pretty good buy.

I'd suggest to stick with an all-steel model, as gold is softer and wears dramatically quicker. Women's watches are notorious for neglect, but there are so many out there that you shouldn't have any trouble sourcing a good example. In general, I don't have much respect for gold as a watch material, at least for something that gets worn daily. It's just not durable enough.

By the way, I see plenty of women's Reverso models out there between $2-3K, though in steel. Cartier also produces good women's watches, but they share the disadvantage of having to deal with Richemont at service time.

Anyway, for something intended for versatile daily wear, I would only consider Rolex models if you don't want to stress.
    Thanks for your advice :)
    just that Rolex is a bit too mainstream in Hong Kong so probably I will take a look at cartier preowned first... let's see what I can get at 2-3k

Quote Originally Posted by Orex View Post
    With that small crack on hour rotating disk, the watch is ruined. Since the price. Maybe some watchmaker will buy it for parts for around $500
    yup, that crack is just so obvious...
    btw, I am able to find similar offers on the internet (for the same model) so I think the crack is just one of the reasons to make it that "inexpensive"?

Quote Originally Posted by hippoking1981 View Post
    Thanks for your advice :)
    just that Rolex is a bit too mainstream in Hong Kong so probably I will take a look at cartier preowned first... let's see what I can get at 2-3k
    I know; there are a lot of them in HK. Singapore too, for that matter. Cartier is a good choice as well — and there are plenty to choose from between $2-3K preowned — but they're not exactly uncommon, either.

Cartier is a respectable company (even though their Calibre de Cartier designs are terrible); I just prefer Rolex in this scenario because it's the most reliable and highest-quality watch you'll find within that price range. They're popular for a reason, and there's more to choose from in the women's range than the stereotypical fluted-bezel two-tone with Jubilee bracelet. Worth a look, at least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information