Why sell/buy presentation boxes?

Thread: Why sell/buy presentation boxes?

Why sell/buy presentation boxes?

This is probably a silly question and obvious to everyone else, but why is there a market for branded presentation boxes or display cases on various watch sale boards?

Is it so that people can complete their collection somehow by having the boxes, or is it because having a box commands a premium when reselling?

I'm not trolling here-- I appreciate a nice presentation box as a nice gesture and class, but I'm not sure that I'd pay for just a box or case?

Or, is there some sort of nefarious use of branded boxes I'm unaware of ?
    Current: Rolex Datejust; Omega Speedmaster Professional; Seiko Sumo; Casio GW-M5600; MkII Vantage; Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

beshannon

Re: Why sell/buy presentation boxes?

I'll let you or others comment on the possible "nefarious uses" of having an original presentation box.

In my case I have bought a box to go with a pre-owned watch that I have bought because I like to have as complete a package as I can get.

Banned

WIS are anal - we want the whole matching set. It helps with the watch's accuracy!

Okay, that's just a partial joke. There is a bit of truth to it (not the timekeeping accuracy part), but the box and papers can add value to a watch - particularly a high end and/or vintage watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe some people with excess amount of presentation boxes want to get rid of them and make quick money on eBay? Can't comment on what sort of people buy them but I'm sure some buy them to replace a lost or broken box (i.e. before they are selling their watch to increase the value etc).
    - IWC Classic Pilot's Mark XVI
    - Omega 300M Bond Seamaster Chronometer
    - Calibre de Cartier SS
    - Corum Admiral's Cup 41mm

Thread Information