Why so much love for omega.....?
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Why so much love for omega.....?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Why so much love for omega.....?

i like omega's. i have had an Omega Constellation which i really liked.
    but since ive joined this forum, ive noticed an overwhelming love for omega's.
    in particular: sea master, planet ocean, speed master and sometimes aqua terra.
    what is it that i dont know about the 'greatness' of omega, why is it so popular here, everyone seems to have or want one.
    is it only this forum, or is it that popular all around?
    ive always liked them, but on these forums im getting the impression that omega's are THE best and MOST popular.
    why is there so much love? what am i missing
    Seiko 5 Sports SRPB31k1
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer 500m Calibre 16

Baume et Mercier Hampton Chrono
    Rolex Oyster Datejust S/S
    Seiko 5 SNZF29
    Alpina Extreme Avalanche - Manual
    Raymond Weil Parsifal

Re: Why so much love for omega.....?

^Amen.

Don't understand the Speedmaster in particular.

No Sapphire crystal, ancient movement, IMHO ugly watch.
    All this because its a supposed "moon" watch. Omega can keep making the same ancient watch with no updates and keep selling it at increasing prices.

At least the other watches have updated movements
    GTR83 and WnS like this.

It's the same reason why vintage cars, to people who appreciate them, can sell for millions of dollars with or without a full restoration project on top of them, while to others they are just old junk, polished or not. But this being an Internet community, I expect that I will be told that I simply don't get it and/or couldn't appreciate the history and love involved in such transactions

On the other hand, some of the newer Omega models are really fine watches. I've only just started looking at more expensive Swiss stuff and I can see why some of us are so crazy about them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    GTR stands for George The Rabid. Fanboy of COSC (Casio - Orient - Seiko - Citizen, in that order )

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

But you don't have car companies making cars today with 80s technology to sell at current (higher) prices.

Omega is popular on most watch forums I have visited. I think it's a combination of factors - history & familiarity, marketing, the development of the co-axial, designs that obviously appeal to many, and until quite recently their pricing was within reach of many. That seems to be changing to some degree though. Re the Speedmaster, I don't aspire to own one either, I'll stick with my Sinn, but it's certainly not ugly to me. Old fashioned perhaps, but that's part of the appeal of it as the classic that it undeniably is.

Quote Originally Posted by hotmustardsauce View Post
    But you don't have car companies making cars today with 80s technology to sell at current (higher) prices.
    Yeah, I was talking about vintage cars that originated from even before that. I did not realize that Omega's current generation Speedy Pros did not have that much of an update. I guess the value lies in the "heritage" for the owners?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    GTR stands for George The Rabid. Fanboy of COSC (Casio - Orient - Seiko - Citizen, in that order )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hotmustardsauce View Post
    The DB7 was in production until 1996 or so with essentially 1970s tech

Banned

I think the long and short of it is that Omega make a reasonable range of different styles, are a recognisable brand, decent quality and as important as all other factors combined, they are cheap enough that most people can afford them.

I think Lee has it right. They tick all the happy boxes for alot of people:

1. Excellent fit and finish
    2. Classic yet versatile designs
    3. "In-house" Movements
    4. Rolex-ish brandname recognition
    5. Relatively affordable
    6. Strong resaleability

I personally don't feel compelled by 4 and 6... 4 actually turns me off a little. So I tend AWAY from Omega.... but I can see why so many people love them.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Jones Jnr View Post
    I think the long and short of it is that Omega make a reasonable range of different styles, are a recognisable brand, decent quality and as important as all other factors combined, they are cheap enough that most people can afford them.
    What he said.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information