Why some manufacturers only include 30 minutes chrono dial?
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Why some manufacturers only include 30 minutes chrono dial?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Angry Why some manufacturers only include 30 minutes chrono dial?

Let's set aside for a second the practical need to have a chronograph. In the age of phones with timers/alarms, there is just no need for it really and for 99% of watch owners chrono is probably just a fancy thing we might use for fun. I, for one, time the distance it takes me to drive to certain destinations. Do I have to do it? No. Is it fun? For me - yes. That's my idea of fun...yeah, sad, I know...oh, boy.

But anyway, why on earth would a manufacturer include only a 30 minutes dial? This limitation makes chrono function very impractical and there are nice watches I'd have to pass on just because of this. Again, not that I need to have hours, but if I want to have a chronograph, I want it to be a proper chronograph, not a castrated one.

Am I the only one annoyed by this?
    prostoLeha, Actium and TKiteCD like this.

Re: Why some manufacturers only include 30 minutes chrono dial?

Like you say I don’t NEED a chrono but I love the things all the same. Saying that I’ve never yet run on for more than a minute so 30 of them is more than enough for me. I can see how someone who used a chrono in anger would find 30 minutes a bit limiting sometimes.

I agree with you to some extend, but I also find 30 min chronos a bit limiting. In reality, a 30min chrono is also a 60 min one with the 2nd pass.... as long as it doesn't stop.

For preference, I do prefer to have at the very least, a true 1 hour chrono; but having even more to me is more satisfying.
    for that reason, I love my Fly backs

IQ Fly Backb by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

and just recently I picked up a Miyota movement TX which actually has a 12 hour chrono. Love it!
    SR927W by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

1 hour Citizen Eco Drive
    Eco Drive by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
    tvterry1 and Actium like this.
    ... What time is it? ...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Was just discussing this topic in a thread from this week about the 30-min register on a Heuer Monaco. That does limit the useless usefulness of a wrist-mounted chronograph (and I LOVE chronographs). If it's a really cool watch with a 30-min register (and that Heuer Monaco would qualify), I can live with it. Most of what I time is under an hour, and I can tell the difference between waiting 25 minutes and 55 minutes.
    My solution has been to make certain any chronographs I like that have no hour totalizer is to get one with a rotating bezel. I prefer the 12-hour GMT bezel like the one on my Damasko (60-minute centrally mounted sweep hand), but I'm pretty good with an elapsed time bezel and dividing a number by five. I match the arrow to the time hour hand, and can read elapsed hours off the bezel.
    So, yeah, I guess I'm not really a fan of the 30-minute only totalizers, but it doesn't quite drive me crazy. Or should I say, crazier.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Quote Originally Posted by alexjust View Post
    Let's set aside for a second the practical need to have a chronograph. In the age of phones with timers/alarms, there is just no need for it really and for 99% of watch owners chrono is probably just a fancy thing we might use for fun. I, for one, time the distance it takes me to drive to certain destinations. Do I have to do it? No. Is it fun? For me - yes. That's my idea of fun...yeah, sad, I know...oh, boy.

But anyway, why on earth would a manufacturer include only a 30 minutes dial? This limitation makes chrono function very impractical and there are nice watches I'd have to pass on just because of this. Again, not that I need to have hours, but if I want to have a chronograph, I want it to be a proper chronograph, not a castrated one.

Some don't. 12 hrs enough for you?
    stolen-gmt-master likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexjust View Post

Actually the 30 minute design was very common back in the 1960's and 1970's. Lots of big funky colorful 30 minute chronographs were made. Many current production chronographs are popular in part because they are vintage designs. An uncomplicated 2 register 30 minute chrono similar to the Monaco is a great way to get that retro vibe. The answer to your question is watch companies make a range of chronographs because they are popular and sell.
    JonS1967, mleok, rfortson and 2 others like this.

A 30 minute subdial is much easier to read than a 60 minute one.
    Mark355, mleok, Synequano and 2 others like this.

No matter how long you make the register 'X', you are left open to complaints from people who want to measure X+1 minutes
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Actually the 30 minute design was very common back in the 1960's and 1970's. Lots of big funky colorful 30 minute chronographs were made. Many current production chronographs are popular in part because they are vintage designs. An uncomplicated 2 register 30 minute chrono similar to the Monaco is a great way to get that retro vibe. The answer to your question is watch companies make a range of chronographs because they are popular and sell.
    Yes, back in the day, many, if not most, chronograph buyers used them to time events that were no longer than 30 minutes, like high school/college track & field & drag races on the street, not marathons or 24 hours at Le Mans.
    noregrets likes this.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information