Why are some quartzes more accurate than others
Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By MX793
  • 1 Post By Tom-HK

Thread: Why are some quartzes more accurate than others

Why are some quartzes more accurate than others

Ignoring my Bulova which is very accurate, my other quartzes always vary a bit. Obviously my Casio G-shock is accurate but my Tissot loses a few seconds a month, while my Rado gains a few. Don't get me wrong - I'm happy enough with them but wonder why this is.

Re: Why are some quartzes more accurate than others

Same reason mechanical watches aren't perfectly accurate: Physical tolerances. Tolerances on the cut of the crystal which determines its frequency. Tolerances on the electronic components that count the oscillations of the crystal. Tolerances on the gears. Quartz accuracy changes with temperature due to slight changes in electrical resistance with temperature. Many "regular" quartz movements don't have any compensation for temperature changes. They are tuned for a particular temperature and the watch will run fast or slow if temperature deviates from that. High accuracy movements include a compensation circuit that will vary the resistance in the circuit with temperature to offset accuracy drift.
    skuzapo, MK3, Davidka and 6 others like this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Same reason mechanical watches aren't perfectly accurate: Physical tolerances. Tolerances on the cut of the crystal which determines its frequency. Tolerances on the electronic components that count the oscillations of the crystal. Tolerances on the gears. Quartz accuracy changes with temperature due to slight changes in electrical resistance with temperature. Many "regular" quartz movements don't have any compensation for temperature changes. They are tuned for a particular temperature and the watch will run fast or slow if temperature deviates from that. High accuracy movements include a compensation circuit that will vary the resistance in the circuit with temperature to offset accuracy drift.
    Excellent answer.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post

+2

I would add that a lot of the variation is down to production decisions. The majority of quartz watches are rated to 15, 20 or even 30 seconds per month. Sometimes you will pick up a nominally 30 SPM watch and be lucky enough to discover that it averages about 1 or 2 SPM. The next chap who comes along and buys the same model from the same shop may find it performs a lot nearer to its 30 SPM limit. Whilst it is true that temperature bears the greatest responsibility for any given quartz watch's daily rate variance, between individual watches the difference in rates is more often down to production tolerances.

In the majority of quartz watches, the (usually) XY cut crystal oscillators are very cheaply mass-produced. This is true even for quite expensive watches and what it means is that the brand simply cannot guarantee the rate of the movement to much better than a second per day. Besides thermocompensation, there are other ways to improve accuracy, including using a high power, higher frequency AT cut crystal, or by using a VFA approach (carefully selecting a good quality crystal and then fine-tuning the rate to best fit its thermal properties). Or, of course, Bulova's method using an unusually shaped oscillator to combine flexural and torsional resonance modes in a high frequency XO for reduced thermal sensitivity.

And we have to remember that there aren't all that many people who care about super accuracy in their quartz watches. Most cheap quartz watches are already immeasurably more accurate than mechanical watches and if you ever did want the precise time you would just look at your phone anyway. Or have an RC / GPS watch. So there just isn't enough demand in the market for most manufacturers to bother trying to achieve more consistent rates in their quartz watches.
    nodnar likes this.
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

well ... I was going to say that not all quartz movement are created equal ... but this is a much better answer

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post

Thread Information