Why is the watch hobby so obsessed with heritage? - Page 7
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Why is the watch hobby so obsessed with heritage?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Why is the watch hobby so obsessed with heritage?

[QUOTE=lisine;50402707]

Watches are like the only category where this happens. Pretty much every other category, the products are judged by their own merits. The brand heritage itself really doesn't matter all that much, what matters is the quality of the actual product.

I suggest you check out numerous car and bike forums if you believe this above is true, HD for example have touted the heritage sales pitch for years.
    fish70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lisine View Post
    Everyone seems to be soooooo obsessed with heritage these days when it comes to watches. Its like the first line of attack whenever discussing the "newer" brands. and by newer brands, I mean those started in the last 50 years. Hublot still gets crapped on for being the new kid on the block, even though they've been around for 40 year.s

Any other industry, and a 40 year old brand would be considered old enough, but with watches thats STILL not good enough for a large proportion of watch buyers.

Watches are like the only category where this happens. Pretty much every other category, the products are judged by their own merits. The brand heritage itself really doesn't matter all that much, what matters is the quality of the actual product.

Cars? Ford isn't more prestigious because they were around for 100 years. Noone is going out of their way to buy a Ford Focus because it came from a 100 year old brand.

Clothes? Levi jeans aren't more prestigious because they've been around for 150 years.

so whats with the obsession with the brand's age?
    Great thread, and one I agree with. There are some newer brands, especially Chinese ones, that technically knock the spots off of the more established brands. The established brands don't care to much, and for two reasons. Non watch people think they are getting a better watch if it's from a brand they have heard of. This is pretty much the same for all consumables. Many watch enthusiasts love using the word heritage, which really means F all. So what if Seiko or Rolex have been going 110,000 years, the same people don't work there anymore, do they?

I am happy to say that I have absolutely no interest in heritage what so ever. I buy my watches based on looks, specification, and more importantly value for money.
    Always likely to change, but here we go

Chris Ward C60-600 Trident - 3 x Seikos, including an SKX009 - 3 x Tissot, two of which are PRC200s - 3x Rotary Les Originals - 4x Orients, one of which is a Kamasu - 3x Invictas, including a Disney - a radio controlled Citizen - a Didun design AP Royal Oak homage - a Bulova Precionist - 2 x Victorinox including an INOX - a golf watch - a Casio Edifice Red Bull - a Phoibos Reef Master - 2x Sharkey dive watches - A Stuhrling 200m WR diver - 11x Parnis watches of various description - and a £5 cheapy to knock around in.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    hah, lol - yeh, it has always made me laugh - happened decades ago
    The English are so class orientated & use it as a put down
    I once heard a very posh chap in oxford describe another as "NQTT"
    I asked him "what that meant" and he explained "Not Quite Top Drawer"
    '
    Shouldn't that be "NQTD" ?
    Simon and fish70 like this.

Chris Ward C60-600 Trident - 3 x Seikos, including an SKX009 - 3 x Tissot, two of which are PRC200s - 3x Rotary Les Originals - 4x Orients, one of which is a Kamasu - 3x Invictas, including a Disney - a radio controlled Citizen - a Didun design AP Royal Oak homage - a Bulova Precionist - 2 x Victorinox including an INOX - a golf watch - a Casio Edifice Red Bull - a Phoibos Reef Master - 2x Sharkey dive watches - A Stuhrling 200m WR diver - 11x Parnis watches of various description - and a £5 cheapy to knock around in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    OP, here's a list of relatively modern watch brands (post ww2) I can think of that have lots of credibility and interest by watch collectors here:

Sinn
    Damasko
    Christopher Ward
    Nomos
    Scurfa
    Vostok
    Lorier
    Halios
    Yema
    Weiss
    Smiths / Precista / Timefactors
    Monta
    Archimede
    Junghans

So I don't accept your opening premise about snobbery against "new brands" as valid.
    Vostok, relatively new, come on !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Wiggles View Post
    Vostok, relatively new, come on !!
    They are post-WWII.