Why is the watch hobby so obsessed with heritage?
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Why is the watch hobby so obsessed with heritage?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Why is the watch hobby so obsessed with heritage?

Everyone seems to be soooooo obsessed with heritage these days when it comes to watches. Its like the first line of attack whenever discussing the "newer" brands. and by newer brands, I mean those started in the last 50 years. Hublot still gets crapped on for being the new kid on the block, even though they've been around for 40 year.s

Any other industry, and a 40 year old brand would be considered old enough, but with watches thats STILL not good enough for a large proportion of watch buyers.

Watches are like the only category where this happens. Pretty much every other category, the products are judged by their own merits. The brand heritage itself really doesn't matter all that much, what matters is the quality of the actual product.

Cars? Ford isn't more prestigious because they were around for 100 years. Noone is going out of their way to buy a Ford Focus because it came from a 100 year old brand.

Clothes? Levi jeans aren't more prestigious because they've been around for 150 years.

so whats with the obsession with the brand's age?
    ohhenry1, ajf, Jadg and 1 others like this.

Re: Why is the watch hobby so obsessed with heritage?

The industry has spent decades beating people over the head with it to differentiate themselves. Marketing pure and simple.

Might be, here today and gone tomorrow brands and snob appeal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mechanical watches are obsolete, and most guys who like them tend to have more of a taste of old fashioned and classic styling. Among that crowd, Hublot is perceived as ugly and blingy.

We like to live in the past.
    "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Because people buy watches out of passion, owners of a Focus won't care about heritage but buyers of Ford GT definitely do

Quote Originally Posted by lisine View Post
    Everyone seems to be soooooo obsessed with heritage these days when it comes to watches. Its like the first line of attack whenever discussing the "newer" brands. and by newer brands, I mean those started in the last 50 years. Hublot still gets crapped on for being the new kid on the block, even though they've been around for 40 year.s

Any other industry, and a 40 year old brand would be considered old enough, but with watches thats STILL not good enough for a large proportion of watch buyers.

Watches are like the only category where this happens. Pretty much every other category, the products are judged by their own merits. The brand heritage itself really doesn't matter all that much, what matters is the quality of the actual product.

Cars? Ford isn't more prestigious because they were around for 100 years. Noone is going out of their way to buy a Ford Focus because it came from a 100 year old brand.

Clothes? Levi jeans aren't more prestigious because they've been around for 150 years.

so whats with the obsession with the brand's age?
    Seems rather a broad brush approach to a discussion, can you show some evidence that 50 year old brands are 'crapped on', maybe it's really how you see things more than what other people think. Personally I haven't noticed much discussion in which brands less than 50 years old are disregarded, or dismissed, on in some way considered inferior. On the other hand, newer (like those within the past 5 years) micro brands seem to be discussed more with regard to longevity, service reliability, etc.

Maybe you could list some examples of which you speak and also, maybe some of the 'newer' brands you feel are being treated unfairly. I think that would bring this thread up to the level of a discussion rather than what appears to be an unfounded rant. I'm just saying, not a lot of substance in your OP.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Watch enthusiasts seem to rampantly engage in post hoc justification.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

To be fair I have heard brands such as Bell & Ross denigrated based on a lack of heritage. Many lifestyle brands and products use the brand heritage to connect with nostalgia and sell products. Take Filson outdoor clothing for example or even Levi's which had an ad campaign years ago that played to the heritage of the original 501 button fly blue jeans. Most of it really is just marketing. Although history and back story do have an appeal that is undeniable.

Watches are a traditional thing. A luxury thing. A sentimental thing. Dom Perignon, or "Steve's" Champagne at your wedding? Turnbull & Asser or JC Penney shirt?, Allen Edmonds or Sketchers? Canale, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Tiffany's, Waterford, Lennox, Chanel, Dior.......

Doesn't have to be luxury, either. Sig Sauer or High Point? Both get the job done. Colt, Winchester, or Guns by Dave? I bet there is something that the OP buys for the brand cache', and just doesn't realize it.

They evoke something. An image. Sure, you can argue that a Toyota is every bit as good as, or better than, a Mercedes, and you might be right. People buy an image. If we all thought about watches as time-telling tools, we would all just wear G-Shocks, drive Priuses (priii?), and drink generic Bourbon (or whatever).

When I look at the winged hourglass on the back of my Longines, and remember that it is the oldest valid international registered trademark, and was used to time the Lindbergh flight.....that adds value to me, and makes me smile. When I think of Rolex going up Mt. Everest, being issued to military divers and Pan Am pilots, it lends the brand credibility.

For you, maybe not.
    No, I'm sorry, I REALLY don't need another diver, I mean, I don't even dive and I have so many already, ........oooh, how much did you want for that?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information